8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 07 civic lx 4 dr. the car only got 2000 miles on it. i bought it new. but everytime its cold out. the car has a promblem starting. its like when i turn the key its takes a long time till the engine ignites. and it almost seem like the car wont start. i dont know what is causing that promblem. i went to the dealer and the guy told me nothing is wrong with it. i clearly know that normal cars dont start like that. plus the car is new and it starts slower than my older car which is a honda accord 2004. i dont know what to do

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup me too. like the first time u start it. it wont work. and the air conditioning turns on. its weird. but my friend suggesting me to step on the gas while turning on the car. its like the second u turn the key to start the car. u kind of step on the gas like how u normally rev it. ill try that tomorrow morning and see how it goes. ill tell u.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont either. but the weirdest part is that the dealer told me that the car is totally controlled by a computer system. and he said that its normal and everything looks fine. but im still realy concerned.

·
Registered
414 Posts
yea but it shouldn't take this long to start. my auto lx stalled on me after a cold start, im a mechanic too, this isn't normal. but it does seem if you just put the key in the ignition for like 2-3 secs it does fire right up. weird

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
yup me too. like the first time u start it. it wont work. and the air conditioning turns on. its weird. but my friend suggesting me to step on the gas while turning on the car. its like the second u turn the key to start the car. u kind of step on the gas like how u normally rev it. ill try that tomorrow morning and see how it goes. ill tell u.

your car is fuel injected...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Had this since day one, never even attempted to fix it, since it always started. However, mine sometimes starts slow when it's very hot and humid, and sometimes when it's rainy. But most common when it's very cold.

·
Registered
59 Posts
....uhh, yes it does.

What it does, is tell the computer to increase the gas through the fuel injectors and run more fuel into the cylinder. By slightly depressing the gas peddle, you are manually controlling this fuel ...which can lead to flooding. What they say you are really suppose to do is put the peddle to the floor which in turn will let the computer decide how much fuel to add without flooding. Once the car is running tho, then the gas does what it does best (ZIIIINNNGGGGGGGG...)

Where if it was a carb, it just "opens the fuel door". Anyone who disagrees with me, hasn't ever owned an older vehicle before. My truck used to take some serious persuasion to fire up. (still fuel injection)

It is a good habit to turn the car on, wait 2-5 seconds and then start for all cars. Like it was said earlier, it lets the fuel system pressure up before starting the car. This will start the car faster every time because you aren't starving the engine for fuel. Not to mention reducing the work on your fuel pump, and starter!

A quick question for those who are having trouble starting in the cold. What temperatures are you talking about? The word "cold" is pretty subjective depending on where you live.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
It is a good habit to turn the car on, wait 2-5 seconds and then start for all cars. Like it was said earlier, it lets the fuel system pressure up before starting the car. This will start the car faster every time because you aren't starving the engine for fuel. Not to mention reducing the work on your fuel pump, and starter!
Your not reducing wear on your fuel pump its just running off the battery when you leave it on.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
It's normal. The battery provides more juice when it is warmer. As it gets colder, its effectiveness (i.e. cranking amps) goes down. If the battery is not providing enough cold cranking amps, then it would need to be replaced. that of course would depend on how cold it is outside. I've known several people with older cars that would remove the battery and bring it inside if the weather dipped below zero. In the morning, they would reinstall the battery and be good to go in the morning. You can't really do this though with newer cars though since the ECM needs power to prevent it from having to relearn each time power is restored.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your not reducing wear on your fuel pump its just running off the battery when you leave it on.
But you are letting the fuel pump "catch up" and therefore run under less strain while starting, rather than putting the whole load on the pump all at once. Most fuel pump failures occur when starting your vehicle. Well, that and running them out out of gas:redface:.

Your fuel pump is always running on your battery, regardless of if the car is starting or is already running. What does that have to do with anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.