8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided to start my own retro, Planning to buy TSX projectors and use a PnP kitt for now then get real ballast. Probably going to buy MDX shrouds. My friends has done a retro on his Intrepid and it turned out great so he will be helping me for the process. My question is where can I buy these projectors and shrouds? I don't wanna buy on ebay I want to know if there is like a shop online i could buy from.

thx in advance.

· Registered
639 Posts
not trying to thread jack, hopefully you can use this info too

but I am slowly starting to buy parts for a retro as well and was wondering what the difference is in the ballast that sell for 200ish and ballast that come in a pnp kit?

correct me if im wrong but the only parts ill need (going through custom lightz) are:

1. projectors
2. shrouds
3. shroud extenders (through custom lights)
4. ballast
5. bulb
8. cut off, washer, mods, etc (also through CL)
6. Wire harness (seems its not not neccessary, but makes installation super easy)
7. D2S adapater (if i read correctly it seems this is only a nec. if you use your Pnp kit??)

TIA

· Registered
3,680 Posts
I am starting a retro as well, just sourcing the parts now and have purchased TSX projectors and alternate headlights so far. Already have a PnP kit.

Best bet is to search every day on different forums till you find a good price for TSX projectors. That is what I did, although I got the best price off ebay for 143 usd shipped. Going to CS or RS will cost you an arm and a leg for tsx projectors. They are getting more rare and the price is going up. Online shops usually push them for 180 usd and up.

not trying to thread jack, hopefully you can use this info too

but I am slowly starting to buy parts for a retro as well and was wondering what the difference is in the ballast that sell for 200ish and ballast that come in a pnp kit?

correct me if im wrong but the only parts ill need are:

1.projectors
2.shrouds
3. shroud extenders (through custom lights)
4. ballast
5. bulb
8. cut off, washer, mods, etc (through CS)
6.wire harness (seems its not not neccessary, but makes installation super easy)
7. D2S adapater (if i read correctly it seems this is only a nec. if you use your Pnp kit??)

TIA
Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

Just noticed for a washer mod, all you really need are specifically sized washers from a local hardware store. Nothing fancy there.

· Registered
639 Posts
Just noticed for a washer mod, all you really need are specifically sized washers from a local hardware store. Nothing fancy there.
i heard the washers are not special, but installing them correctly to get the right effect is actually difficult

anyone know the differance bw say a hella ballast/matsushita ballast as opposed to those from a Pnp kit

· idgaf
6,953 Posts

· Registered
3,680 Posts
thanks exeon

few questions

Is the d2s adapter needed if I am not using a Pnp kit?

Is the relay harness needed? and if so, is there any difference in terms of quality bw different ones?
If you are buying oem ballasts, you don't need a D2S adapter, the ballast should come with a D2S harness.

Relay harnesses seem to be a topic of great and opinionated diversity. Some say you don't need one, some say you do. It's only like 20 bucks and it can't hurt to install in my opinion. But I am not an expert by anymeans. search the forums and you'll find some good stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.