8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks all for taking a look at this,

I have been having an odd issue with the starter in my car. Essentially what happens is the car will be running fine, battery fine, then out of the blue it wont start or crank or anything. No matter how hard I push the clutch down or no matter how many times I bash my starter, the car wont start. But after a push start the starter will start working again normally, if you turn it off it will turn on again as if the starter had nothing wrong with it. This has happened twice, and one thing that I notice is every time I push start the car there is a loud bang sound from the engine bay right as it fires up.

Do any of you guys have any clue what this is, the starter was replaced not long ago, and when it is working it starts just fine.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had the same problem with my '08 EX Cpe.. thought it was the battery but lights and stuff worked.
Intermittently it just would not turn over. After fighting and troubleshooting it turned out to be the starter. Mechanic strongly recommended not using a non OEM starter or Alternator in Hondas.
Its not easy to DIY- replace without a lift, Honda neatly stuffed it in there behind the passenger wheel well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Had the same problem with my '08 EX Cpe.. thought it was the battery but lights and stuff worked.
Intermittently it just would not turn over. After fighting and troubleshooting it turned out to be the starter. Mechanic strongly recommended not using a non OEM starter or Alternator in Hondas.
Its not easy to DIY- replace without a lift, Honda neatly stuffed it in there behind the passenger wheel well.
My car was taken to the shop 4 years ago because the starter failed. Not really a DIY friendly job.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most electric motors, ie. starter, can opener, will work once or twice more if you hit them with a hammer. Make no mistake you probably need a new starter. Maybe test for a loose wire?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts