8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by my local Honda dealer and asked about when they recommend the 1st oil change (I have an 09' LX-S w/3250 mi.) and what type of oil they use. I've spoken this service writter many times previously but never on this subjet. (1) I was told that they recommend oil changes @ 3750 mi. (2) There isn't any special 'breakin-oil" used by the factory. (3) They use bulk exxon/mobil dino oil w/the basis/least expensive oil change. They do not recommend following the MM system as it streches the oil change period too long. I also asked if I bring in my own oil would the cost of the oil change be less. Yes, $9 for their labor. $7 for filter and .38 cents crush washer! This is great! Now I'll bring in my bottled Mobil 5000 5w-20 oil for the first couple of oil changes and then consider going Mobil 1. I know this has been talked about hundreds of times here and elsewhere but I feel better now as I wanted to change the FF oil out shortly. Bill.

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
The MM stretches it out too much? So Honda engineers were just ******* with you right? Your service guy wants you to bend over and bring the lube.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
The MM stretches it out too much? So Honda engineers were just ******* with you right? Your service guy wants you to bend over and bring the lube.
:eek:hsnap:

its absolutely right though, even if all the MM really does is count revs and a few other vaariables, I trust it over some dealership service writer, I run full synthetics through mine, the last time the MM let me out to a little under 6K and on the dipstick the oil was still usable, but it was dark and I dont feel like pushing a race oil too far past 5K

as for bringing your own I dont trust dealers on that either, or any place where I can not see my car for that matter, nothing stoping the tech from dumping the cheapo **** and keeping the good stuff for themselves

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
I trust the maintenance minder in my Civic because it doesn't go an extreme amount of distance between oil changes, only about 6500 miles, which I figure is fine for a modern engine, plus I put full synthetic in it.

However, I don't trust the maintenance minder in my dad's 09 Accord. Before it's first oil change it went nearly 9000 miles and didn't come on, at which point I just changed the oil for him anyway just to be safe and not risk harm to a brand new engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can watch them in the service area, no problem, to see if they add my brought in oil. I've read that bulk oil isn't quite as good as bottled oil. I personally do not believe dino oil can properly protect past 5,000 mi. Oil/oil changes are cheap insurance. BTW, the selling dealer of this car recommended an oil change @ 4k-5k.

·
Registered
249 Posts
thats sounds crazy. i just bought my civic in october and the told me to do my 1st oil change at 5000 miles. i did it at like 4750 when the light went on. i called the honda dealership and they use castrol oil for oil changes and they recommended that i go for the syntec blend.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
regardless of what my MM says, i change my oil every 4k miles. i reset the MM, but i don't really go by it.

as far as "break in oil", no such thing. however, the way you drive the first 600 miles (break in period) sets the "foundation" on how everything is sealed/lubed/etc., which is why the manual recommends not to drive hard the first 600 miles.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
thats sounds crazy. i just bought my civic in october and the told me to do my 1st oil change at 5000 miles. i did it at like 4750 when the light went on. i called the honda dealership and they use castrol oil for oil changes and they recommended that i go for the syntec blend.
a honda dealer said castrol syntec blend? that's awesome.

castrol syntec blend is really good oil and u pretty much get both of best worlds. i use that exact oil for my Si and change every 4k miles.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I can watch them in the service area, no problem, to see if they add my brought in oil. I've read that bulk oil isn't quite as good as bottled oil. I personally do not believe dino oil can properly protect past 5,000 mi. Oil/oil changes are cheap insurance. BTW, the selling dealer of this car recommended an oil change @ 4k-5k.
bulk oil and bottled oil = no difference. just make sure you don't overfill.

and it all depends on how you drive to when u should change ur oil. my neighbor revs the piss out of his Si and lets vtec engage every chance he gets, whereas i drive like a normal person, hit vtec maybe once a month. obviously, he's gonna have to change his oil sooner and more often than i would.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The factory fill supposedly has more moly in it to aid in engine break-in. That's the reason the OM states to not change the oil before the MM indicates to.
As far as running the oil for the full MM range... Modern engines are easier on oils and oil itself has gotten much better since the "change oil every 3k mile" days. I would stick to well known brand names with an OCI set by the MM and you'll never have a problem. The way you drive will have a bigger impact on engine wear than the oil brand or oil change interval.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I took my car to the dealership with 4,000kms on it and asked when to bring it in for the first oil change and they told me when the MM says 10% to make an appointment and then bring it in. No special early break in time for the first oil change.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brought the car in for the 1st oil change @ 3750 mi. (Filled w/Mobil Clean 5000 5-20w) All I can say that the motor runs and idles so much smoother. Very noticeable improvement. I'm very glad I did not wait any longer. BTW, Mobil Clean 5000 seems to be a superb oil.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
regardless of what my MM says, i change my oil every 4k miles. i reset the MM, but i don't really go by it.

as far as "break in oil", no such thing. however, the way you drive the first 600 miles (break in period) sets the "foundation" on how everything is sealed/lubed/etc., which is why the manual recommends not to drive hard the first 600 miles.

This has been proven over and over again that the factory fill of "regular" oil is mixed with assembly lube = magical break in oil. Nothing special about it besides the high Moly count.

I dumped mine at 1,500 miles. there were a ton of metal shavings.

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
so they blend regular oil w/ assembly lube and thats the oil ?

I was under the impression they used the assembly lube to assemble the engine, and than add regular oil.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts