8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title suggests, my front airbag light comes on intermittently. And by that, I mean that it turns on a few minutes after driving -- and sometimes actually does not turn on at all.

This is quite distressing, especially since I've heard that some people's airbags have blown on without warning.

I've tried searching, but I don't think I found anyone with the same problems.

Already went to the dealer to get it checked, but the light didn't turn on that trip, and they didn't find any error codes. I'm now thinking to just keep driving one day, get the light turned on, and bring it to the dealer that way.

Any suggestions? I've no real mods but wheels and a retro. However, the retro is grounded to the battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Izzy I had a similar problem. First trip to the dealer revealed a problem with the "passenger side airbag inflator". I don't remember the code, but it seems to me it had a 36 in it. They reset the computer and the code was gone, but it returned after a week or so. They told me the car was safe to drive, but I kept people out of that seat just to be safe. The service people told me the SRS sensors are extremely sensitive - to the point where leaning on the door while the car is on can set off an error code. In my case they did have to replace the entire side airbag, which was a pain in the ass because it meant ripping apart the passenger seat (and they somehow forgot to reattach the passenger seatbelt afterwards :banghead:)

By the way, what does your light look like? There's actually two SRS lights on the dash, one is a little red guy with an airbag going off in his face and the other is orange.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the little airbag man.

I think the main thing is that I went -- and the airbag sensor didn't show up that day. Sucks! Guess I'll have to do what I said: just drive until I get the light on, then bring it in.

Thanks guys! Repped to those who posted. Including me! :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I got the little airbag man.

I think the main thing is that I went -- and the airbag sensor didn't show up that day. Sucks! Guess I'll have to do what I said: just drive until I get the light on, then bring it in.

Thanks guys! Repped to those who posted. Including me! :D
I had the same problem, took it to the dealer and the light went off, drove it and it came back on. What I did was reset my ECU and it never came on again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i'm having this same issue now...i've also noticed that the passenger airbag "off" light never comes on anymore...even when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. shouldn't this light be on since it means the passenger airbag is off when empty?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I ended up driving around on a day off until the airbag light came on, then brought it in to the dealer. Turns out my driver side airbag module was on the fritz, so they replaced it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i'm having this same issue now...i've also noticed that the passenger airbag "off" light never comes on anymore...even when no one is sitting in the passenger seat. shouldn't this light be on since it means the passenger airbag is off when empty?
I hope not, my airbag is on with nothing in the seat. If I put some groceries or whatever in it that's about 10 or more pounds, it'll turn off. I always thought it senses the weight in the seat and if it's enough weight to be a child, but not enough to be an adult, it'll turn off the airbag.

·
Registered
837 Posts
this is normal, the passenger air bag is designed to be shut off only when a small child is in the seat. The SRS decides this via a weight sensor under the passenger seat, so anything weighing about the same as a small child (5-50 lbs I believe) will shut off the air bag. I wish it would always be off unless an adult (50 lbs +) is in the passenger seat, but I guess Honda just wants to make more money off small fender benders :shady:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.