8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you guys feel about this? I hear a lot of discussion about HP/TQ gains, looks and sound, but actual filtration seems pretty much ignored. Isn't the point of a filter to.........filter?

I recently got a Mishimoto carbon fiber SRI. Thing is beautiful, seriously a hot looking SRI, top notch build quality and the reviews are good. I haven't installed it yet.

Looking at the filter, I can't imagine it would stop all of the fine dust and dirt that floats into my engine bay every day. You can see right through the filter. The stock filter for the si supposedly stops 99% of incoming pollutants. This, and other high flow filters I have seen K&N etc...look like they might stop 50% on a good day.

Do you just trade off engine life and long term engine power and call it a day?

What about you guys specifically with the Mishimoto. Have you looked at the filter, what do you think?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Anytime you swap out parts you need to do your research. Sometimes you sacrifice one for the other (I.E. Low end TQ for high end HP). However just cause you can see through something doesn't necessarily mean that it won't stop contaminants. They have Bullet proof clothing that looks normal (no more 1" thick noticeable vests). Most of these companies names are stamped on the intakes and they take pride in what they make. I had a AEM CAI on my old 93 GSR for 189,000 miles and the engine pulled like a beast till some [email protected]$$ totalled it. Therefore do you have any concrete evidence to proof the following statement?:popcorn:
Do you just trade off engine life and long term engine power and call it a day?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I am looking for info, I have no evidence..
I'm looking for the opinions of people here who have used different filters.
I've called several filter manufacturers this morning and none of them have been able to give me technical data on their filtration qualities. Just air flow.

Its a legitimate question.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
i opted for a sri because i trashed my accord when i hydrolocked it...when it was fixed the power wasnt the same...i will never again own a cold air in fl....because when it rains it rains...no drizzle...and it floods easily here...and thats why i did sri

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
No, I am looking for info, I have no evidence..
I'm looking for the opinions of people here who have used different filters.
I've called several filter manufacturers this morning and none of them have been able to give me technical data on their filtration qualities. Just air flow.

Its a legitimate question.
I know that K&N and AEM have contaminant test PDF's on their sites. I don't know about the rest. Google air filter tests also, I have found a ton of info on tests performed on OEM filters all the way to aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I've seen a filter thread before, that show's how much dust particles they filter. By using a shop vacuum. But even the particles go past the filter, your motor will disintegrate the dust particles anyway, but it will cost you change your oil much often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts