8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what's going on? I just got my K&N SRI for my R18 today and installed it. This is the first time I've ever done this, but here's a picture of after it was put in. Does it look like it's in there correctly? I made sure everything was tight and fit. When I turned the car on with the hood open to check for leaks or anything, nothing seemed out of order, just some kind of hissing sound. Is that normal? Drove it around the block a couple times and checked again but still looked okay. Some blue stuff from where the coolant hose is, but I'm pretty sure that's just from when I had disconnected the original hose and some had leaked out. Any info/tips you can provide would be great. I also got my TWM short shifter w/ base bushings, but I'll try to install that tomorrow. :wavey:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what's up with that bag-like thing around the filter?
oh that's just like a dry filter wrap that k&n sells. it goes over the regular filter and is suppose to provide better filtering without sacrificing the performance of the intake. it's pretty coarse so i dont think it'll affect the air intake, but should help guard against dust and stuff....

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
hmm. if you made sure to reconnect everything correctly and your car is 1)idling normally and 2)not throwing a CEL, it's safe to assume you did your job correctly. :thumb:

generally your car will throw an engine light before it explodes. so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :xyxnervou

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
looks fine to me... hissing is normal because you can hear the suction instead of it being dampened by a crap load of tubing from the oem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the same pre-filter cover on my fujita filter. Looks to be done right. Also I wanted to know how you have shifter bushings on an fg1, I was under the impression they did not make a kit for the non-si?

·
Registered
319 Posts
looks good man. i have the k&n installed on my si for well over 7000 miles with no problems. the hissing noice is normal at throttle. no cel's+normal idle+no rattle = no problems. are you happy with the product?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have the same pre-filter cover on my fujita filter. Looks to be done right. Also I wanted to know how you have shifter bushings on an fg1, I was under the impression they did not make a kit for the non-si?
TWM makes one...as far as I know, it's on their website.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
why didn't i find this thread when i did a search just before i posted mine...looks like it is on fine, how long did it take, im hoping to install mine tomorrow once it comes in

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
really? that's what that thing-ah-mah-jig is over the filter? Don't really see the point of it. IF it were me, I'd leave it off only because I think it looks weird with it on.

All in all though, looks good to me. I've had the K&N SRI on my FG pretty much since I picked up my car, no problems at all. Only thing I'd suggest is getting another filter so you can swap the dirty one with a clean one and then clean the dirty one. LoL that must have been confusing.

For the others that posted stating they have the SRI on their FGs, you guys notice that K&N has discontinued our SRIs??????? Thought that sucked...oh well...good thing I still have my stock intake in case I need to swap back for some reason.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
really? that's what that thing-ah-mah-jig is over the filter? Don't really see the point of it. IF it were me, I'd leave it off only because I think it looks weird with it on.
Its called 'outerwares' I've always used them with my K&N filters on my four wheelers. Its supposed to keep water out, never seen one used on a car before lol. Can't hurt, might help if you ask me.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
The filter cover seems a slight bit too large, but it should be fine. Good install, +Rep for your first install being successful!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you happy with the product?
yeah i'm very happy with it, could just be in my head but i can feel a slight difference. im getting my NST pulley kit and magnaflow cat-back exhaust w/ megan racing downpipe installed weekend after finals so like the 14th so i cant wait to see how that'll change things up. gonna install my twm ss tonight so hopefully that goes as good as the intake did...:iorun:

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
oh trust me i kno but i'll put out the money to get a much better product with bigger HP gains then just throw away $150.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I understand where you're coming from, I'm the same way, but this is an R18, so they gotta wait for some more products to come along.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts