8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned the 07 exactly a year now, bought it for what it is, an economy car for long commutes..and thats all it is. Never have I experienced such a loose, squirrrly handling vehicle.
Just turning onto residential streets at low speeds bugs the hell out of me. Just not smooth.

Agree, If I am going straight on the highway under 60 mph all is well, above that the car feels loose. But the characteristic of this car when turning at normal speeds is just....almost as if I have square wheels, but it is the design of the front end etc. and not the wheels.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
squirrely, like it has square wheels... :xyxnervou

I have an lx sedan for work/family transportation and this car fits me like a glove. Most of my driving's city, and it handles great.

What's not smooth, are you experiencing jerky streering? For people used to larger steering wheels, they do tend to crank to the left/right fast.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On highways it has what some call body roll. Kinda like what you feel on a windy day, but its there always over 60.

When turning it feels like a tire is lop sided, the best I can describe it. Not wide turns, but maily sharp turns onto side streets.

I like the avg 34 mpg I get.....But may trade it in this coming year and take my loses.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
whats ur tire pressure? so when u turn what happens exactly...u feel roll or bumps what??? why are you taking sharp turns on side streets ne way...not that u shouldnt...just wondering...ur car is a year old? how many miles? have u checked the tires for wear?

·
Registered
587 Posts
People just have to get use to it. I used to drive mid size cars, and when I switched to this, it felt bad. I thought the car was gonna break apart when going over bumps. But really it's just the spring and well, it's a civic lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Owned the 07 exactly a year now, bought it for what it is, an economy car for long commutes..and thats all it is. Never have I experienced such a loose, squirrrly handling vehicle.
Just turning onto residential streets at low speeds bugs the hell out of me. Just not smooth.

Agree, If I am going straight on the highway under 60 mph all is well, above that the car feels loose. But the characteristic of this car when turning at normal speeds is just....almost as if I have square wheels, but it is the design of the front end etc. and not the wheels.
It is the tires on your Civic. What brand do you have Goodyear or Bridgestone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The small wheel, and quick steering is the toughest part to get used to.

That said, have your car get the once over somewhere, that doesn't sound right at all. My 07 EX coupe out handles my previous e46 BMW.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is the tires on your Civic. What brand do you have Goodyear or Bridgestone?
I'll go with him on that one. I changed my hubcaps with Goodyears on them to Si Wheels and Kumho AST's and no longer do I feel like I'm "floating". It's by no means a sports car but I feel a lot more confident taking turns now, and it looks better too :thumb:

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
had mine for exactly a year too! but mine's been awesome!
only quirks i have with it are the stupid rattles and soft paint.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the stock goodyears still on them. I do have custom rims, but they are stock size. Have 19k on the car.

Just taking ordinary turns at slow speeds. It feels like the front end rocks from left to right when turning.

I drove a 95 nissan truck for ten years before this. Perhaps it's the front wheel drive I'm not used to. I will get different tires when the ones I have need replaced. No idea what to get there,

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 07 LX drives great with 24,000 on stock wheels. I came form a lifted Truck to this car and I like it.
I plan on lowering it and getting new wheels once these wear out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the stock goodyears on them.........i will get something new when they wear out.......what I dont know

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the stock goodyears on them.........i will get something new when they wear out.......what I dont know
As others have said, it might be worthwhile getting the alignment checked. My LX handles really well on tight turns, enough so, that I gun it every time I come into one, just to see if I can get my wife to give me a headbutt.

·
Registered
696 Posts
As others have said, it might be worthwhile getting the alignment checked. My LX handles really well on tight turns, enough so, that I gun it every time I come into one, just to see if I can get my wife to give me a headbutt.
just dont gun it on a sharp turn..just dont be too close to the sidewalk. i did the same thing but i was too close and the tires sidewall rubbed with the sidewalk and it popped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On highways it has what some call body roll. Kinda like what you feel on a windy day, but its there always over 60.
I agree about the body roll or whatever its called. Coming from a a mid sized, It really feels like I am being blow all over the road. It will take some getting used to, which I still am not after 2k miles.

I also agree the car feels loose on turns. Almost like the car feels bigger then it really is.

I wasn't expecting anything diffrent though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
your right on........bothers me enough though I may sell next year.
Although I hate to lose the money I have in it.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
ex coupe here
i take turns like you described, and i have no trouble handling the car
it feels pretty good, maybe you should check what people sugested, tire pressure, alignment, maybe its your tires

1 - 18 of 18 Posts