8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 Civic LX sedan makes a squeaking noise from the front suspension area while braking. It didn't sound like the pad wear indicator, but I took off the pads and rotors off anyways. The driver's side pads were worn down about 90%. I replaced the pads and rotors on both the front driver's and passenger's side. I greased the caliper pins and shims. I thought that might do the trick. I took it for a test drive and the same squeaking noise is there. Any ideas what it could be? It only makes the noise while braking. It's not consistent either, sometimes I brake and there's no noise, but the majority of the time it makes the noise. In the video I say it makes the noise at 35mph and over, but it also makes the noise at lower speeds as well.

I made a Youtube video so you could hear the sound, you'll hear it first around the 0:11 second mark and multiple times after that:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Put some grease on the back of the pads. It helps dampen vibration. It should be something you do on any pad change especially if you are going with a more performance pad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did put grease on the back of the pads when installing the new ones and still had the same noise. I took them off again and regreased the back of the pads and still had the same noise.

I should have mentioned this '06 Civic has 215k on it. My next logical solution was that the calipers were bad. They were the original calipers and haven't been replaced in the 215k miles. After some diagnosing and testing, I found the driver's side caliper was sticking and causing the noise. I replaced it and the passenger's side caliper as well. After I replaced the caliper, no more noise! I've drive it 600 miles since then and still no noise, so problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts