8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if this has been talked about, but I have found that when I turn the steering wheel there is a slight squeak squeak emiting from between the wheel and the base, where the light stalk is.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have the squeak as well. All I can say is to take it in to the dealer and get it fixed. Should be covered under warranty. I'm just lazy so I haven't gone in yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sometimes the foam around the steering column comes a little loose and rubs against the column as it turns. It squeaks some and can be kind of irritating. It happened to my old '95 civic and my mom's '06 accord. I'm not saying that's the problem or anything, but it's an easy fix if you take it to the dealer, especially since you're on warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a really bad squiking noise as well. ... i thought for a second looked under the hood checked the steering fluid AND there was none!! went to discount auto picked up some steering fluid and put some in no noise next day took it to get service at honda ,and he showed me the container where the fluid is held was cracked. replaced it under warrenty no cost done deal

·
Registered
345 Posts
Resurrecting a old post here... The cable reel assembly seems to be a common cause of this type of noise. Just to confirm (if anyone knows) is the squeak just an annoyance or is it the early manifestation of a component failure?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Resurrecting a old post here... The cable reel assembly seems to be a common cause of this type of noise. Just to confirm (if anyone knows) is the squeak just an annoyance or is it the early manifestation of a component failure?
Im not sure but i had squeaky noise when i turned the wheel a while back and over time it just kinda went away....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im not sure but i had squeaky noise when i turned the wheel a while back and over time it just kinda went away....
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue.

Same here, sounds like its coming from inside the steering wheel/column somewhere. But it only does it when it's pretty cold outside, like below 60 degrees. Once spring came, it went away so I'm waiting till it gets cold again so I can take it in and duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Awesome great find! I broke mine when we did my clutch... someone decided to turn the wheel more than they should have while it was not connected to the steering rack.

Anyone replaced this part by themselves?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happend to me once and went to dealer its a main bolt stering something it was 75buck at honda all they did was tighten it and 2 yrs later it came back ill try and find recipts and see what it was for sure called

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.