8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has been talked about before but, does anyone have a clue as to why the front squeaks when you turn the wheel, i droped my car using tein s tech which i had never had a problem with before in any of my cars.

its the sound of the spring rotating on the upper mount, but why?you can get in there and watch the spring, it doesnt move smoothly, i already greased it up and that helps for like 2 days and than its back to the same ****. any ideas on how to fix? i was wondering if perhaps i tightened the Strut top nut TOO tight? is that even possible? and if so what difference would that make

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
The upper suspension mount is only ment to go in one way even though it fits no matter which way it is aligned. There is an arrow on the top of the mount that should point toward the front of the car. That could have something to do with it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Interesting...I'm also getting a noise upon turning the wheel. I've been lowered for 3 months on Progress, installed them myself. A few weeks ago I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands and popped the wheels off to clean the wheel wells. After I put the car back down, I now have this noise.

I took apart the front and see that it's coming from the front right spring mount. I can turn the shock and hear it when it's disconnected from the knuckle. What the hell is that?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Interesting...I'm also getting a noise upon turning the wheel. I've been lowered for 3 months on Progress, installed them myself. A few weeks ago I jacked up the car and put it on jack stands and popped the wheels off to clean the wheel wells. After I put the car back down, I now have this noise.

I took apart the front and see that it's coming from the front right spring mount. I can turn the shock and hear it when it's disconnected from the knuckle. What the hell is that?
You might not have the top nut tight enough. Thats all I can think of. But I don't know too much.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The upper suspension mount is only ment to go in one way even though it fits no matter which way it is aligned. There is an arrow on the top of the mount that should point toward the front of the car. That could have something to do with it.
:yeahthat:
Had the same problem with my car after I dropped it (pro-kit). After I took it apart again, I found out that I had mistakenly installed the strut-assembly with the arrows facing incorrect directions. After I moved them to how they were supposed to be, no more noise.

Here's the link on removing/installing the strut assembly.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53722&highlight=torque+specs

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its not clear in those instructions, where the arrow goes, could you describe what you did to aleviate the problem. the arrows go towards the front is what i presume, facing the headlights, is this correct.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
well its not clear in those instructions, where the arrow goes, could you describe what you did to aleviate the problem. the arrows go towards the front is what i presume, facing the headlights, is this correct.
Sure I can. All I did was remove the strut assembly, moved it around so that the arrow points the front of the car (facing the headlights as you said) and put everything back together. This fixed the noise for me :thumb:

Oh and be sure to tighten all the bolts back to factory specs!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i pulled it down and they are indeed pointing in the correct direction. arrows facing headlights. so dont know what the deal is

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had the same problem after installing Pro KIt. Re-aligned the arrows to point "center" front, relaced all bolts (4) on top of the strut, and re-torqued those bolts to factory spec., (initially too tight). No problem now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont think its possible to overtighten the strut top nut is it? tighten it until it stops, is how ive always done it and never had trouble.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
well, just recently I get the sound when pulling out of the garage or a parking spot...I know I installed mine correctly...guess I'll be looking into some HFP suspension, I'm not going through this crap again...like with my ep3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts