8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the very simple question, just wondering what has worked best for everyone:
I plan on getting some Eiback Sportlines with the 1.4" drop (front and rear).
I have heard instances of these springs settling to 1.5"-1.75" and one guy even swore it was at 2" of drop when settled. (Going on a 2007 FA5, weight may help)
I'm not worried about the dropping, however I am OCD and of course want the springs to settle, before trying to get it re-alligned.

-My question is when is the best time to replace the OEM shocks? During spring install or after settling?
-Will an upgraded shock (at the stock length) be too long, would I need a shorter shock to compensate for the Sportlines?

Sorry for the ramble, any insight/help would be appreciated.
What do you guys run with a drop like this??

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
You can replace them at the same time as the springs..

The front of the SIs suspension is macpherson struts so the whole assembly needs pulled to change the springs anyway..

I'd do both shocks and springs at once personally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Change them both. Stock shocks will not work.... but Truhart & Koni STR.Ts will. Plus you will have to do the work twice which doesn't make sense

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why I was asking. I wasn't sure if it was a single assembly or not. (I'm used to coils/spring packs with separate shock hangers.)
Since its a one piece ordeal, I will do it all at once.

Besides Koni and Truhart, are there some good shock manufacturs out there?

When it comes to Asian cars, I have no idea of quality of brands. I don't care for the most badass, well handling/cornering setups for my DD civic, but I do splurge on my vehicles when it comes to shocks.

Also, with new shocks, do I still have to trim the factory bumpstops?

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is why I was asking. I wasn't sure if it was a single assembly or not. (I'm used to coils/spring packs with separate shock hangers.)
Since its a one piece ordeal, I will do it all at once.
Rears are seperate, fronts are like what HeelsandEers said.

Besides Koni and Truhart, are there some good shock manufacturs out there?
Koni and Truhart are the only company's that have better then OE shocks available for this gen car for whatever reason. KYB only sell OE equivs, and Tokico didnt seem to support the Blue or White lineup past the 6th gen civic. There are countless companies that make full coilover conversion kits for the car though that include their own shock/struts.

Also, with new shocks, do I still have to trim the factory bumpstops?
You should still be trimming them at least an inch. The truharts are an inch shorter but not adjustable like the Koni Yellows

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rears are seperate, fronts are like what HeelsandEers said.

Koni and Truhart are the only company's that have better then OE shocks available for this gen car for whatever reason. KYB only sell OE equivs, and Tokico didnt seem to support the Blue or White lineup past the 6th gen civic. There are countless companies that make full coilover conversion kits for the car though that include their own shock/struts.

You should still be trimming them at least an inch. The truharts are an inch shorter but not adjustable like the Koni Yellows
Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. After just a little searching I found some Truharts (Part #: TH-H505) that look awesome, with trimmed bump stops, and new Sportlines, will this setup work together??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I've heard, Sportlines kind of ride like ass.

Here's a good report on available springs.... Tein S Techs are really good too.

06-11 Civic Spring Rate Test Results
That is good info, I wish I had found that earlier. The Neuspeed Sports look good, and at 1.6" its still in my same drop range. Will Truhart shocks pair good with these springs??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sportlines are more for going low than comfort. You cant have your cake and eat it too..
LOL I know that all too well, the cake part... But this is my first Honda ever, and first time considering to lower a vehicle. I am definitely a noob when it comes to this stuff, and brands/makes are like a foreign language to me for Asian cars.

That's why I turned to this forum, I otherwise may have ended up buying Sportlines and being very unhappy. Now I'm considering Neuspeed Sports :dance:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would definitely do them both at the same time if I were you. The guy I bought my fg2 from installed Neuspeed sport springs on stock shocks and the ride quality is terrible. Going to go with Koni yellows/STR.Ts when I can.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I found a guy on here who may sell me some Neuspeed Sport springs once he upgrades. Of course I would get new shocks because I know shocks do have a service life, but what about springs?
Is buying used a bad idea or am I over thinking it. A spring is a spring right? No disrespect to anyone, just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts