8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive had my sportlines on my car for about 9000 miles now...they were put on stock struts/shocks wit the front bump stops cut but not the rear...as i was taking pictures the other day i noticed that my drivers side looked hella high compared to the passenger side....i brought it to a flat surface and measured all the way around....

the 2 fronts were dead on even which was great, but my drivers rear was 1/2 inch higher then the passenger rear...now im going crazy and want to know what could of caused this...

Did the springs not settle right and now im goin to be stuck wit an uneven drop?

Did mabe one of my shocks go out and cause this?

bump stops?

i just ordered a new set of tokico shocks and dont really want to give up my sportlines...if i take out all the springs and start again wit fresh shocks would they resettle themselves and mabe straighten out or the springs shot?

just goin crazy

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
well the instructions say to cut the bump stops, so that could be ur problem, but ive had my sportlines for almost a year with no problems and they are even and everything and the only thing i can think of is yoor spring is on incorrectly or the bump stops

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the instructions say to cut the bump stops, so that could be ur problem, but ive had my sportlines for almost a year with no problems and they are even and everything and the only thing i can think of is yoor spring is on incorrectly or the bump stops
the springs cant settle unevenly though and stay like that right?....if i cut the bump stops and even change the strut/shocks like i am the spring should fix itself?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea just make sure the springs are in the correct direction too, i made sure my springs lines up where my stock ones were, but the new struts should work
ight cool...just wanted to make sure the problem wasnt in the springs and it was somewhere else...cuz i love these springs and didnt want to have to buy new ones

anybody else can pipe in

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
anybody else can confirm that springs cant cause the unevenness.... and if all put in right wit new shocks it "should" even out
This has been answered within the past week.

Nobody has taken into account variations in spring rate from the manufacturer...

Just because a Neuspeed Race Spring has a rate of 303F / 460R doesn't mean that EVERY spring will have that rate!

Hypercoils (a true race spring that I used to run on my old 1993 Civic autocrosser) has a variation of only 2% between springs of the same rates. On a 600lb. spring, that equates to only a 12lb. difference. It made cornerweighting the car much easier and gave me the piece of mind knowing that I spent my money wisely on stuff that worked!

ERS (Eibach race springs) have a variation of about 6-8% between springs of the same rates. On the same 600lb springs, that equates to a 36 to 48lb. difference!

Now, these are both dedicated race springs that are linear rate and designed to be used in no-compromises-allowed applications such as F1, Grand Am-Daytona Prototypes, nASScar, Formula Atlantic...

Do you guys really think Neuspeed, Progress, or Eibach (regarding Pro-Kits and Sportlines) that make springs for a wide variety of mass market applications really cares if they have a variation of say, 10% between springs of the same rate? So, on a 460lb. spring like the Neuspeed Race Spring that equates to a 46lb. difference! On a street car with soft rubber bushings and stock shocks a 46lb. difference in spring rate from one corner to the next WILL result in a difference in ride height.

Frankly, most of you guys are putting springs on out of desperation for a "look" without saving up in the first place to do it right (shocks) and you pay the consequences regardless. There I said it.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
bump stops dont affect ride height.
Bump stops will effect the way the 8th gen civic performs. If you cut the bump stops, your car will rub if lowered even on stock wheels and tires.

How do I know? Because I have the first set of H&R Springs that were brought into the country. They installed them. They tested it with a cut bumpstop and without.

Car rubs with an altered bumpstop.

Don't cut your bumpstops, ...added by me...if you don't want to rub if you are dropping a great distance over larger bumps. Being you are allowing the wheel to move further into the wheel well.

Read this article: Technical || H&R Special Springs, LP

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Not really a way to destroy the spring unless other forces besides normal up and down oscillations affected them at some point in time. Or them being extremely old and fatigued.

The possible difference in spring rates, as stated, is one way ride height will be effected.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really a way to destroy the spring unless other forces besides normal up and down oscillations affected them at some point in time. Or them being extremely old and fatigued.

The possible difference in spring rates, as stated, is one way ride height will be effected.
beat...a half inch is a huge difference...they only 5 monthes old...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.