8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Not my first ticket but I haven't had one in 5 years so my record is clean. Got it from an airplane... it was a divided section of highway where I knew no cops would be - but when I slowed down and got to the other side of the hill - there were 3 cop cars and had multiple people pulled over - I was the next to join the fun. I wasn't exactly going slow... 95 in a 65 (that's what I was told at least) - but I only accelerated for a very short period of time so the plane must have got me right when I had the "burst" of speed. With that being said, my question is:

With no points/tickets currently on my record, is it worth it to show up in court and try to get this taken down so I can possibly reduce the points on my license or get a smaller fine? Have others done this? Ticket was in Ohio - close to Cincinnati.

P.S. I'm not required to show up as the cop said I can just pay the fine... he forgot to give me the price sheet so I'm not sure right now what it's going to cost me. My guess is it's not going to be a cheap one.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That sucks. A kid that used to work for me had that happen to him when he was on a trip to FL. He was going 110 and got hit from above. He bit the bullet and just paid the fine by mail. I remember it was expensive but I can't remember the number.

Not much going to court will do for you. You gotta pay to play. Sucks you got caught at the wrong point too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What kind of plane doe they use for radaring vehicles? I've seen signs that say monitered by aircraft but I always thought it was just a scare tactic

From how I understand it they don't actually "radar" from the air, but time you in a 1/4 mile using hash marks on the side of the road. They use your time to calculate the speed. Not sure exactly what type of plane but here is Ohio Highway Patrol's aviation section of their website...

Ohio State Highway Patrol -- Aviation Section

Also an article about it from last year...

State highway patrol uses planes to catch 30,000 speeders - The Plain Dealer World News: The Latest National and International News - Cleveland.com

I know responses so far have said to just bite the bullet and pay - but other posts have said judges give a little slack based on a clean record. I also never admitted to speeding, which is another "no no" according to other posts I've read. The cop told me my speed 95... to which I replied "95?" with a surprised look on my face - but never confirmed it. He then said "Yes, you're going to get a citation for your speed today" and that was pretty much it. It's not as much about the money for the ticket as it is the points on my license, as I don't want it to impact my insurance rate.

So being that I never confirmed or admitted that I was speeding - does that improve my chances if I show up and try to fight it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.