8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got clocked doing 90 in a 55 on a deserted highway around midnight last month. My hearing date is on the 6th. Is there anyone here that fought this kind of speeding ticket before? What's the procedure when I arrive at the clerk's office? I'm not really sure of what to say.

·
Banned
909 Posts
damn yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 35MPH over the limit, in Cali the cop would have raped u and then impound ur car. and dont mention the couple of grands u have to pay..:eek:mg: :SHOCKED: :eek:mg: :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Where is your hearing taking place -- what court circuit? ie magistrate court, traffic court, or superior court???

Often your first court date is just to plead out your case.. Not actually get a trial on that date. If you plead not-guilty then you can either stay in that court circuit level and have a trial with that judge at a later date. Or you can request a jury trial. Which might drag out for years..

Find out what your options are in that state. Just remember that the system is not designed around you. So if you do request a jury trial and 1yr later you move out of state -- then you must travel back to that state for the trial. It almost like blackmail. Either pay up the money or pay up in hassle and time with the risk of getting found gulity.

·
Registered
77 Posts
About a year ago I got a similar speeding ticket. For reasons only the state trooper knows, he threw the book at me. 90 in a 65 is considered "aggressive driving" and when a cop issues an "aggressive driving" citation, they have to also issue 2 more violations along with it. I got "failure to use turn signal" and "following too closely ". All in addition to my speeding violation. Alll that also meant I had a "mandatory court appearance ".
I had to hire an expensive lawyer and go to 2 court appearances. End result--everything was dropped except the aggressive driving.
that was like 6 points and when your insurance company renews your policy, your insurance DOUBLES!!
end result you're f%$kd when you go that fast. Going that fast, the cop has to issue you an aggressive driving citation and unless you hire a very very expensive lawyer or you know someone thats a cop, it won't get dismissed.
if the judge doesnt like you. worst case scenario. you loose your license for 6 months.
all told, my speeding ticket costs about about $7,000. ( court fees, lawyer fees, and now my insurance which has doubled ).
I learned my lesson the hard way. traded in my fast 05 Acura RSX type S in for an 07 Civic Si. and i learned to love driving slow, with cruise control.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
hes lying. get yourself a GOOD lawyer. should cost 300 including court fees. and they show up for you and everything and it will get dropped to improper equipment. i have 4 tickets and they all got dropped with the same exact lawyer. i got all 4 tickets in a two month span and they were all dropped. look around for lawyers and ask them what they can do for you. some lawyers got hook ups with the judges and DA's and cops and stuff.

your a fool if you spent 7000 and still get ass raped.

·
Registered
84 Posts
MobiusTech said:
hes lying. get yourself a GOOD lawyer. should cost 300 including court fees. and they show up for you and everything and it will get dropped to improper equipment. i have 4 tickets and they all got dropped with the same exact lawyer. i got all 4 tickets in a two month span and they were all dropped. look around for lawyers and ask them what they can do for you. some lawyers got hook ups with the judges and DA's and cops and stuff.

Wow 4 tickets in 2 months. Maybe it's time for you to slow down there bud.

Agreed though, a good ticket fighter/lawyer can definitely help. Really though, you guys shouldn't speed that much to begin with.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Silver Fox said:
Wow 4 tickets in 2 months. Maybe it's time for you to slow down there bud.

Agreed though, a good ticket fighter/lawyer can definitely help. Really though, you guys shouldn't speed that much to begin with.
they werent in my car.

they were all on my crotch rocket.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
alot of misinformation:

Every state has different laws. Different judges / courts work in different formats. And some cops push issues and others don't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I am resever officer from Wisconsin. The speeding ticket is no big ordeal in the minicipal court systems. "Most" of the time you show up and just plead your case. 30+mph over the speed limit is pretty hard to explain why you were going that fast in the first place. Never in court try to make your self sound like your knowledge is better than anyone else.

I would plead guilty and state that you knew that it was s stupid mistake. They will most likely will look at your driving record. If it's clean, most likely you will pay the fine and get your points back. You always want to go a win, win situation in these cases. Have to remember that tickets etc. = money to the minicipalites for new equipment etc.

Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mrk said:
I got clocked doing 90 in a 55 on a deserted highway around midnight last month. My hearing date is on the 6th. Is there anyone here that fought this kind of speeding ticket before? What's the procedure when I arrive at the clerk's office? I'm not really sure of what to say.
i dont think you're gonna win if you plead non guilty. 90 in a 55 mph zone...thats a wreckless driving ticket plus suspended license.

·
Registered
850 Posts
MobiusTech said:

"GOOD lawyer" for $300 bucks, you must be fluckin nuts. A good lawyer charges $300 an hour here. Consultation 1 hr., prepare case minimum of 1 hr., court date plea/trial, could be 2hrs and up. Wow you must have a "GOOD" lawyer. Can I have his phone number? Not that I don't believe you--just wish I knew your lawyer.

Just pay the piper. Or you can investigate the last time the radar gun has been inspected and calibrated. I don't mean by the officer who issued you the ticket. The have guidelines for testing the unit but it is not a true calibration. Some 5 0 use a tuning fork. NOT good enough- check into it.

:vtec:

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Survivor said:
"GOOD lawyer" for $300 bucks, you must be fluckin nuts. A good lawyer charges $300 an hour here. Consultation 1 hr., prepare case minimum of 1 hr., court date plea/trial, could be 2hrs and up. Wow you must have a "GOOD" lawyer. Can I have his phone number?

Just pay the piper. Or you can investigate the last time the radar gun has been inspected and calibrated. I don't mean by the officer who issued you the ticket. The have guidelines for testing the unit but it is not a true calibration. Some 5 0 use a tuning fork. NOT good enough- check into it.

:vtec:
well, off a military base everyone gets speeding tickets. people come back from iraq and buy brand news cars and speed like crazy. and the lawyers there get so much business that they dont have to charge a millon dollars for a case cause they make so much moneys anyways and got hookups.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
First of all you don't loose anything if you plead non-guilty, however, it opens window to talk to a judge or DA. If this is your first ticket in a while, basically you can be straight with them and say that you have a clean record, you did not see danger driving over speed limit. You learned from your mistake and this will never happen again, blah blah blah. Recently I had a speeding ticked and had to appear in this small small town. My speeding ticked was reduced to a parking ticked by the DA who was cutting these kinds of deals to everybody. So plead not guilty and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts