8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's a firm thing now. 50 over the speed limit and you are a street racer, even if you're not racing with anyone....

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/246448

My comments on this is that those who agree with this, either doesn't get out of the city much or your car doesn't hit 130. Anyone whos driven to Montreal, Ottawa, Waterloo, London or Windor on a regular basis know that 150 is still a safe speed to travel at, especially when it's 1 - 2 AM.

A few points from the article:
Those who are charged with this infraction will get a $10000 fine, the officer has the right to impound your car and suspend your licence.

Also the OPP are getting a PLANE! I dun really know how to react to this cause I thought they aleady had a plane.....

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I read the article last night as well. This whole "expanding" **** is just one big publicity stunt to make them look good. They're not expanding at all, they're totally misinterpreting. Aunt Mary is going to turn on the 6 o'clock news and gasp when she sees they caught 6 street racers. No, they didn't catch any street racers. They caught 6 people speeding recklessly. But no, under the new definition, they were clearly street racing. So, what does Auntie think now? She's going to think of "high performance modified cars" were involved. Wrong. It's probably some Caravan or Grand Prix that got caught. It's going to ultimately give us enthusiast a bad name.

I'm not scared about the whole 50 km/h+ thing. I rarely go over 140 around town and I usually tend to take it easy on the road now after some tickets. I do agree the guys that have access on the 401 regularly should be scared. It almost feels like the minimum speed on that highway is 130 to 135. I remember when I went to Toronto doing 140 in the slow lane...

I'm just surprised at what they're doing to make the government and cops look good. There was an article posted two weeks ago with the title of "street racing blitz." So many charges, but nothing street racing related? Now they can say they've caught street racers.

<insert a big rollseyes emoticon right here>

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
150kmh or about 93.5 mph isn't a safe speed especially at 1-2am in the morning when you don't see as well as in the daytime. If you do that here in the states they will arrest you for reckless driving and you can go to jail for up to 8 years. Well, that is the maximum sentence but I am sure first time offenders will only get a hefty fine of up to $1000 USD.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Tom1222 said:
150kmh or about 93.5 mph isn't a safe speed especially at 1-2am in the morning when you don't see as well as in the daytime. If you do that here in the states they will arrest you for reckless driving and you can go to jail for up to 8 years. Well, that is the maximum sentence but I am sure first time offenders will only get a hefty fine of up to $1000 USD.
I have friends who have been pulled over for ~105mph. The last time it happened, it was a $500 fine, driving school, and community service.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Second time I was pulled over for speeding (So Cal), it was 130+ in a 55 (MPH). I got a big fat $900 fine, and this was in 1994. It was reduced by the judge (who was EXTRA nice to me) because I bowed my head when she read the reason I was there and the courtroom gasped. Also the report the highway patrol wrote said I was extra helpful and nice. She reduced it to $650 and the infraction to read 100+. No suspension of license.

Any ways, I can only imagine that these days the fines and possibility of your license being suspended are much greater.

As far as what Ontario is doing, it's amazingly underhanded to make their little badges shine that much more when acting in the name of "law". I'd understand if they made a "law" to consider it street racing when they find TWO people going over 150+km/h, but by yourself?? Who are you racing? You are just speeding...

Expect pictures to be plastered in the paper of the 1 out of 10 "street racers" that fit the stereotype.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yeah when im on the expressway i drive lk 90 during the day and lk 100 at night, so if i was in canada id be going lk 145 and 165?? just guessing but wow i thought it was faster...thats not to bad

i thought 150 would be lk 110 and i was lk damn you guys fly in canada i want to come up there....but not anymore hahha jk ive been a few times some of my fam live in buffalo so i cross the border by niagara falls but i plan on coming up there....for real like toronto or montreal

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 401 (I'd have to say main highway in Ontario) isn't as narrow as some interstates in the states. You have about a good 100 km or three lane highway. and is very much empty at 1 - 2 AM, when i drive back to school on a sunday night. I am not even tailgating people to push them into the slower lane, people are tailing me at 150, I am talking a couple of cars, and the only cars that are on the highway.

to me, this whole thing is a publicity stunt. It's election time (provincial i beleive) and they just want to "solve" a problem and show that they did something "right" But in my point of view, there was no street racing problem, i remember 3 big street racing incidents in the news. the guys in their ivory towers are making problems so that that can solve it, so they can stay in their ivory towers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
like ok w.e 150km ...we all hit that once in a while but like WTF i hate all these stereotypes....

HONDA CARS
TEENAGERS
=STREET RACING

like WTF!!!!

ya i own an auto r18....but oya its a honda so i race.. like lets be realistic

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Well.. while I don't agree with saying that anyone doing 150km/h or more is street racing, I think the solution is pretty simple.. don't do 150km/h on public roads.. seriously, how did you get your license? Did you drive above the posted speed limit? You know that doing it is risking getting a speeding ticket... 120km/h is average and thus not that risky, but 150.. well..

Discretion is also something that police also have, so theoretically, if you were pulled over for doing 151km/h on a totally deserted road at the time you mentioned, with no one around, the odds are they might write it down at 149 or less if you aren't a total knob to them.

Still.. I don't think that driving above a certain speed equates to street racing, so for that, I completely agree, it's trash and electioneering.

·
Registered
236 Posts
$10000 fine???? Can you say money grab. Try going from Toronto to Montreal the whole way 120 lol. I think we all find our selves going near the 150 mark the odd time, but that doesn't make us street racers or anything near that.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just on the 407 this morning following the flow of traffic at 150..... thats the flow of traffic!

and as for cops with discretion, I've had nothing but bad experiences with cops. I am not offending to them or anything, when they pull me over i just sit back relax and get my ticket. They give me crap when i am not doing anything. Ask Brett about this, he was in the car when i got pulled over LOL. From my experience, the only friendly cop is the PR ones and they're all on a powertrip. Wanna find a bad cop? Call 911! No offense Dentrecords, i jsut get ticked off when the topic is cops and common sense.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree that these new laws are a bit of a knee-jerk response by the government/police trying to ease the publics mind considering the recent deaths of people in the GTA related to street racing/dangerous driving. Having said that, people DIED and high rates of speed were involved, keep your focus on what is truly important here. Something is clearly wrong with the rules (and the punishments for breaking them) if people dont care enough about the potential outcomes of their actions which can be very serious. In regards to the argument of 'everyone else is speeding' well then maybe everyone needs to slow down some, I am by no means advocating that everyone should set the cruise control at 105, but I am sorry there is no way someone will convince me of a 'need' to do 150kmh on a public road, maybe raising the speed limit in sections of the 401 from 100 to 125kmh in combination with tougher rules for extreme speeders is a better solution. There are good drivers and bad drivers, cars that can handle speeds of upto 150kmh and cars that just simply cant, but we all share the same public roads and in this case the only prudent thing to do is set the speed limits for the slowest car with the worst possible driver otherwise there will be just too much death on the roads. I think that the 10k fine is probably a bit high for a first offence, maybe that needs to be adjusted - but it is probably a maximum and if applied with some discression (ie only for people significantly over 150kmh) I really dont have a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just read in the news that the minimum fine is 2000, max is 10000 for a first offence. I think wilson has a point in rasing the speed limits in certain areas. I mean city streets have ups and downs of speed limits, some from 70-50, why can't the highway be like that? The ruling here is 50 over the speed limit. In fact, cambridge is rasing speed limits in subdivision street in school zones. 40 in the immediate area of the school, where as before it would be 40 for a fairly long stretch.

Another thing that bugs me about this is that the insurance companys will be happy about this. (quoted from toronto star somewhere) so if they are, shouldn't our insurance payments go down? The goverment is making it safer to drive in Ontario, why should we still be hit with Canada's highest insurance rates? Lower our rates for pete's sake!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speeding to me is a very loose term. Speeding to me in going to fast in a certain area. For example, subdivision roads: you can be going speed limit (50km/h) and you are still going too fast. Where as on the highway, you can be going speed limit (100 km/h) and you feel like you're committing a crime!

You go 100 on the 401 (not during rush hour) you can't merge anywhere. You have to hit like 130-140 sometimes to just make it to merge. I remember the last couple of times going southbound 404 and merging onto eastbound 401, i had to kick it up to 130 to merge. and thats not it, they guy is still coming fast on you, you can't just slam on the brakes and tell him to slow down. the next thing you know, you are either going close to 150, or you have a new passenger in your backseat. i jsut dun think it's that simple to just not speed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts