8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you deal with these in a manual car? this is my first one and guess what... speed bumps on the way home :eek:hnoes:

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
I drop it to neutral, and go really slow...

And then I drop it back to 2nd, and carry on.

My cars dropped, so thats why I do it...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm assuming you need to have the clutch in while you're in neutral? is that so? or can i let the clutch out and just roll and brake in neautral

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so i'm cruising along. clutch in, shift to N, clutch out. brake to take the bump at a crawl, clutch in, shift to 2nd, gas and clutch out

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dont know about the speed bumps ya'll have. But around here we have some big ones and I just take it a slight angle in 2nd, 0 clutch, 2nd can go 6 mph smoothly, keep light throttle to stay at 6 mph. If i have to go slower, i let the speed of my car drop to 4 mph where it seem to be the smoothest entry point for 1st gear other than being stopped, also the lowest speed you want to go in 1st gear is 4 mph.

im stock though so i can take these a bit faster....my girlfriend lives in a neighborhood with huge speed bumps so i have a bit of practice here. They're so unholy large that the plastic piece under the front fender rubs sometimes no matter how slow i go or what angle i go.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I usually coast over them in neutral or in second gear. If I do happen to go over them in first, I'll make sure to keep some on the throttle or else it'll start jolting.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
y2kedar said:
I dont know about the speed bumps ya'll have. But around here we have some big ones and I just take it a slight angle in 2nd, 0 clutch, 2nd can go 6 mph smoothly, keep light throttle to stay at 6 mph. If i have to go slower, i let the speed of my car drop to 4 mph where it seem to be the smoothest entry point for 1st gear other than being stopped, also the lowest speed you want to go in 1st gear is 4 mph.

im stock though so i can take these a bit faster....my girlfriend lives in a neighborhood with huge speed bumps so i have a bit of practice here. They're so unholy large that the plastic piece under the front fender rubs sometimes no matter how slow i go or what angle i go.
6mph speedbumps?!?:SHOCKED:

every speedbump around me requires no more than 3 mph....i must be in 1st with alot of clutch..

·
Registered
316 Posts
flat speed bumps = easy to coast through in neutral

speed bumps while going uphill in a crowded parking lot = pain in the ass!

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
CaliGuy said:
I almost come to a stop and then go over in 1st with a lot of clutch
:yeahthat:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts