8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i took a hard turn and my speakers cut out, but the sub still plays the bass in the song. about an hour later it was fine. today i took another hard turn and now the speakers wont play and the sub still plays fine with the songs from my ipod. i took out the deck and checked all the wiring in there, checked at all 4 speakers and it looks ok, but none of em play. i have kicker ds600s on doors and rear deck running off the deck and the sub in the trunk is amped, the only thing i can think of is that i blew a fuse but where would it be? and why would the sub still work and the deck still functions fine. just no sound from speakers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm by no means a speaker expert, but it sounds like it may be too much power and/or one of the speakers back is touching some metal? Do you have spacers installed?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
intriguing. . . I take hard corners all the time and even when my Pro-Cs arent doing that they rattle everything to death, and I still have no such problems, if it was a fuse though you would have NOTHING

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they started workin last night at about 1am.. is it possible that my deck has a thermal shutdown feature? it was quite warm and humid for the last few days. maybe only on the amp in it? and thats why the RCA plugs still worked.
totally a guess but it seems to make the most sense to me at this point, i have the speakers in stock brackets so they have about a 1/2inch off the metal

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine about a week ago, it turns out that he was touching some metal. Redid the connections, wrapped them a lot in electrical tape, then bent them to make sure they wouldn't touch the metal and all is good now.

It's possible your head unit has a thermal shut down feature, but that's unlikely IMO unless you had the heater blasting. If it was a hot day, chances are you had the A/C going, and your A/C is not air tight and leaks a little bit of cool air into that area. Even if it didn't, chances are it wouldn't get that hot. I live in Texas and have never experienced a head unit thermal protection. I've experienced external amp thermo protection (105+ degree days :( no music sucks)

Edit: Forgot to add, if just one speaker touches metal and shorts out the system, the amp will go into protection and stop sound from either the other channel or all channels, depending on the amp. Lots of times it's on all channels though.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. i think its my passenger door speaker :p cuz now theyre all playing except that one, i just got tint done so im waitin for it to set before i take off the panel so i dont scrunch the tint accidentally

·
Registered
2 Posts
what did you do to fix this problem? (in great detail please) i just had to 10's installed and how my driver and passenger door speakers go in and out. a week can go by without them working and one day they will work. thanks so much

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what did you do to fix this problem? (in great detail please) i just had to 10's installed and how my driver and passenger door speakers go in and out. a week can go by without them working and one day they will work. thanks so much
lots of electrical tape on my connections, i had LEDs in my empty DIN box exposed that i think were some of the problem as well as the door speakers taped up real good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is weird because I'm having the exact same problem with my setup. as soon as I hit a sharp turn my speakers go out but my subs and head unit still work. I still have not found the solution yet.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is weird because I'm having the exact same problem with my setup. as soon as I hit a sharp turn my speakers go out but my subs and head unit still work. I still have not found the solution yet.
most likely a short, trace it with a multimeter to see if power is still getting there, remember ac power at speaker level and DC power before the amplifier(if you have an amp on your speakers)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts