8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 civic SI and currently my radio cuts in and out. The speakers still work but also cut out from time to time. I dont have any rear speakers anymore and when I checked on the front, I found that the foam around the speaker has withered away. Do you think its the head unit or the speakers? I would lean to head unit since it affects all but I wanted to check here. Its the NAV Premium unit.

i should note that this car is just an AB car, so I dont care a HUGE deal about the sound, but I do like having it lol. I dont want to have to go and spend $500+ on new speakers/head unit/amp/etc if I dont need to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The withered foam is not the HU... but that speaker looks pretty sad looking. I suspect mine look similar, especially the doors...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would try replacing the speakers first, those need to be replaced anyways. If it still cuts in and out it could be a number of issues. Speaker terminals not secure, HU connections or the HU itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would try replacing the speakers first, those need to be replaced anyways. If it still cuts in and out it could be a number of issues. Speaker terminals not secure, HU connections or the HU itself.
YES REPLACING THOSE SPEAKERS WOULD BE GREAT. i did mines myself and replace with SONY speakers so all you need is an drill with a good headbit and drill a new thread hole for the screw to be secured

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the sound cuts out completely, it's unlikely to be the speakers. The rotted surrounds will make them sound bad but they'll still make sound. You could have a bad head unit, a bad amp (under the driver's seat or below the center stack, depending on sedan or coupe), or a bad connection somewhere. Finding the problem could take some time and effort. I would start by checking the signals into and out of the amp. It might be easier to just get an inexpensive aftermarket head unit and an amp bypass harness (and some new speakers).

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the sound cuts out completely, it's unlikely to be the speakers. The rotted surrounds will make them sound bad but they'll still make sound. You could have a bad head unit, a bad amp (under the passenger seat or below the center stack, depending on sedan or coupe), or a bad connection somewhere. Finding the problem could take some time and effort. I would start by checking the signals into and out of the amp. It might be easier to just get an inexpensive aftermarket head unit and an amp bypass harness (and some new speakers).
When you say easier to replace the whole system - all of my audio went out over a two year period, and it started with the auxiliary plug, and then the rear speakers, then my driver door. I've got to find the individual issues, or replace the head unit first and hope that solves it. suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you say easier to replace the whole system - all of my audio went out over a two year period, and it started with the auxiliary plug, and then the rear speakers, then my driver door. I've got to find the individual issues, or replace the head unit first and hope that solves it. suggestions?
First, I should mention a couple more things:
  • It would be good to test that driver's door speaker to make sure it works. You can do this with a battery (like a AA, C, or D) and two short wires. Use Google to find better instructions than I can provide. If the speaker moves and clicks when you connect it to the battery, it's working enough to make sound.
  • Try to visually inspect the wiring and connectors at the head unit and the amp. Maybe something is disconnected or a mouse chewed through the wires.
Assuming the speaker is capable of making sound and the wiring looks good, what's next? Could a bad head unit cause the aux jack and speakers to stop working? Absolutely. Or maybe you have two unrelated problems: A bad amp, which could cause the speakers to stop working (not necessarily all at once), and a bad aux jack. Or maybe you have a bad connection somewhere. So what are your options?
  1. Replace parts until it works: You could try a used factory head unit and that might fix everything, but not if the amp is bad. So then you could replace amp and maybe that will fix it, but not if there's a bad connection. So then you'll need to check the connections (see #3).
  2. Replace everything and be done with it: You could install an aftermarket head unit with a built-in amp (and an aux jack) and there's a good chance you'll have sound again. This will probably cost more than a used factory head unit and it's more work to install. You'll also lose the steering wheel audio controls (unless you install an adapter and a compatible head unit) and it won't power the factory sub. But if all you care about is basic sound, it'll probably work (and if you also replace the speakers, it will likely sound better than the factory setup ever did). The only thing an aftermarket head unit wouldn't fix is bad wiring or connectors for the speakers but the odds of them all being bad is pretty low (unless you do have a mouse).
  3. Diagnose the problem and only replace what's necessary: If you have the knowledge and equipment, you can test the wiring between the head unit and the amp, and check the audio signals going from the head unit to the amp and from the amp to the speakers. When you find the problem, you can repair or replace just the faulty component.
You'll need to decide which of these is best for you. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
silentaccord has given good info.

Kind of in the same situation.. '08 EX Cpe, with Premium Sound system... lost rear sound no R/L or Sub.. then I noticed the CD player rejects all CD's mechanical problem... knowing a little about technology... this will require replacing the head unit. My door speakers look like yours.. but replacing tem will not resolve the rear sound issue or the CD player not working.
The HeadUnit may fix the rear sound, but it may not.. its a 50/50 chance either HU or Amp.

If you happen to find the layout of the of the wiring harness, HU to Amp, AMP to Speakers I sure would like to see a copy of that.. it would be helpful in my trouble shooting.

Just using the shotgun approach replace the HeadUnit and/or the Amplifier is an expensive option and will not fix the worn out speakers... this is whee it might be a better option to replace everything with better stuff...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have the wiring diagram? It would be helpful. Also I have a sedan. Do you know where the amp is?

·
Registered
08 Honda Civic ex coupe
9 Posts
silentaccord has given good info.

Kind of in the same situation.. '08 EX Cpe, with Premium Sound system... lost rear sound no R/L or Sub.. then I noticed the CD player rejects all CD's mechanical problem... knowing a little about technology... this will require replacing the head unit. My door speakers look like yours.. but replacing tem will not resolve the rear sound issue or the CD player not working.
The HeadUnit may fix the rear sound, but it may not.. its a 50/50 chance either HU or Amp.

If you happen to find the layout of the of the wiring harness, HU to Amp, AMP to Speakers I sure would like to see a copy of that.. it would be helpful in my trouble shooting.

Just using the shotgun approach replace the HeadUnit and/or the Amplifier is an expensive option and will not fix the worn out speakers... this is whee it might be a better option to replace everything with better stuff...
Text me 4403156553 I can give u info but don’t check this site often I have a good factory headunit the sub and the amp I upgraded they have been sitting for ever I should Be able to answer and questions have prob had 30 to 50 different speakers in my car

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2007 civic SI and currently my radio cuts in and out. The speakers still work but also cut out from time to time. I dont have any rear speakers anymore and when I checked on the front, I found that the foam around the speaker has withered away. Do you think its the head unit or the speakers? I would lean to head unit since it affects all but I wanted to check here. Its the NAV Premium unit. View attachment 243529

i should note that this car is just an AB car, so I dont care a HUGE deal about the sound, but I do like having it lol. I dont want to have to go and spend $500+ on new speakers/head unit/amp/etc if I dont need to.
Go to best buy or frys electronics in store or online. You can get 4x 6.5 in speakers (kenwood, hifonics, boss audio) for like $40. They also sell clearance and open box items for heavy discounts as well. A new dash kit, wire harness, and antenna adapter /speaker adapters would be about $60-70. New stereo receiver /deck depending on what features you want would be about $140 max for a feature packed unit. I bought a boss audio double din DVD /CD player with navigation and Bluetooth that even included a back up camera for $140(it worked good too but I upgraded to a $800 kenwood since) I sold it on offer up for $100 only a month old. Which brings me to your next option. Used great on offer up is plentiful and affordable usually but test the stuff before you buy it. You can also barter with people as a payment option. I traded a half ounce of sunset sherbet for a 4ch amp i needed about a week ago. Black Friday deals are going on now at best buy so they got some awesome deals. For $239 you can get 2x 12in kenwood subwoofers, a box for them, a kenwood amplifier, and the wiring kit. They also have the kenwood for and deck speakers for $20 a pair. Those are all good products for good prices that won't break the bank. Even a bucket ride should still have good tunes, lifes to short, pamper yourself a bit. Also a rule I live by "Never skimp on shoes, mattresses or tires." buy the best ones you can possibly afford it's life changing! 👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts