8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think this question belongs in this section, let me know if there's a better section for it.

i see advertisements for spark plugs that claim to increase performance and gas mileage, and i was just wondering if that's an upgrade worth doing. i hear the usual things that don't really work, such as throttle body spacer, k&n filter, etc. i never hear anybody talking about upgrading their spark plugs. has anybody upgraded their spark plugs, and does it work? and by work, i mean better than something like an intake, which i feel is a waste unless you're going to do i/h/e.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
our spark plugs are fine from the factory and unless you need a different heat range you more than likely will not gain much if anything in the form of power.if you are boosted or are running nitrous then you may need to change heat ranges to avoid detonation but N/A you should be fine unless you plan on extreme high comp. and a full build.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
thanks. Totally agree that sparks plugs will add horsepower.
What was used for comparison? It was an Integra from the 90s with a distributor, cap and rotor. Our Civics are direct fire with coil packs, not the same. I don't know what the R18s come with but if you have the Si, they come with Denso Iridiums which are far from cheap. I bought 1 step colder Denso Iridiums due to turbo and they were 50 bucks for all four. If you replace those with some "advanced" plugs for 12 bucks, I'd consider that a downgrade. I wouldn't replace the Densos until the recommended interval.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
so basically to sum it up and have this thread closed....modern cars come with pretty efficent ignition systems and unless you modify the engine in such a way that there is significantlly more air/fuel mixture to burn you will not need to do anything but keep an eye on your plugs and replace them when the manufacture recommends.

·
Super Moderator
2,609 Posts
so basically to sum it up and have this thread closed....modern cars come with pretty efficent ignition systems and unless you modify the engine in such a way that there is significantlly more air/fuel mixture to burn you will not need to do anything but keep an eye on your plugs and replace them when the manufacture recommends.
Beautifully said.......................and :yeahthat: regarding closing the tread...........forever. :eek:mg:

Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.