8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So its time to change the plugs on my 2007 Si and R18 coupes. My sis has reported increasing longer cranking time to start the engine in the mornings. (The engine has 88k miles, mostly highway but lots of city and prolonged idling)

My Si has 65k and has been driven HARD from day one. I broke it in, in :vtec:
It has seen the track (circuit) quite a few times, racing for 4-5 hours non stop. its mildly modded and running on FlashPro.
I plan on getting it tuned and want to change the plugs for max performance (and to see if it rids me of the rough idle i'm getting, as well as slightly longer cranking as well (VERY minimal, unlike the R18))

Anyway, i called Honda and they quoted me $18 per plug and they'd have to order them (i guess everyone is still under 105k miles and haven't replaced the plugs yet, so i'll be the first to order a set from my dealer :laughing:

Update below

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
$18 bucks is cheap, I thought they were $24 a pop. I run 2 step colder plugs cause im on spray and im paying $20 a piece so yeah, thats what Iridium tipped plugs will cost ya. Do not skimp though.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look on line for the plugs :)
I found some on line for cheaper then from honda and they are the same plugs :)

I agree that there are cheaper plugs both online and at local auto parts stores but its quality that i want.

Honda says their plugs are good for 105k, i dont see other companies making a similar claim.

I know Honda overcharges but if using the mentality that "if it costs more, its better" Honda's plugs win the prize. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$18 bucks is cheap, I thought they were $24 a pop. I run 2 step colder plugs cause im on spray and im paying $20 a piece so yeah, thats what Iridium tipped plugs will cost ya. Do not skimp though.

Yea i placed an order with Honda, should be here Thursday (because it was too late to place the order for the day :banghead: ) I'll take note of the idle and cold start characteristics of the 2 engines during the next day and then see the differences with new sparks.

We'll see.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Well i picked up the Spark plugs from Honda, they are Denso SK22PR-M11S Iridium plugs as per the Owners Manual.

I researched on the plugs a bit and found some interesting info...

Denso Iridium Long-Life Spark Plugs SK22PR-M11S - Part Number: SK22PR-M11S - Sparktec Motorsports <--- HERE

I found them cheapest @ Amazon.com: Denso (3419) SK22PR-M11S Iridium Long Life Spark Plug…

You can also use NGK IFR7G-11KS as another option.

So far i've only changed the Si's plugs, heres what they looked like after 65k worth of use/abuse.

As you can see even though they are high quality plugs, there is wear and tear (obviously)

The engine ran great for the most part and i'm sure they could have lasted till the 105k interval Honda set but since i want to keep the Si at its maximum potential, i went ahead and changed them at Denso's recommended 60k interval.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: First initial cold start took longer then usual because the cylinders were exposed so the pressure inside changed (compared to when the engine is sealed)
Once fully warmed up, i noticed a very slight decrease in idle vibrations, because of upgraded engine mounts, its very hard to notice (because there are vibrations regardless) but as anal as i am, there is a definite improvement non the less.
Cranking time hasn't changed. (I'm expecting my EX's R18 engine to show cranking time improvements though)

Thats basically it, save some money and order online. Free shipping is available on certain websites, making the plugs around $13-14 a pop. Cheaper then paying $18.xx + tax at Honda.

:wavey:

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honda, just like every other manufacturer has no choice but to push service intervals to the limits to give the assumption that they provide a better product.

Like i said, there's a difference between the engine running 100% and say 90%.

The spark plugs can keep providing a spark for 200k miles, but the spark will be weak, and the performance of the engine will begin to suffer. MPGs will go down, etc etc.

Honda did the whole "100k no maintenance" by the end of the 100k, the spark plugs are pretty much toast. A change to new plugs will provide an increase of MPG and engine performance.

Sure Denso recommends shorter intervals because they're in the business to sell spark plugs, so the shorter the interval, the more they sell, obviously.

I changed mine on my Si because the car is about to get tunned, so i wanted to start with the best possible spark, so best performance.

They can last till 100k. I just choose to do it earlier.

·
it just BLOWS my mind
2,529 Posts
so....excuse my ignorance...
What happens if you just get diffrent ones not OEM i mean? like Autozones or something?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
so....excuse my ignorance...
What happens if you just get diffrent ones not OEM i mean? like Autozones or something?

Technically, nothing. The engine will run the same and make the same power, the only downside to using a cheaper plug is that it will wear out faster. So it might last you 30-40k miles before you start to have issues with ignition... by 60k your gas mileage will be suffering greatly, among other things.

You could change your plugs with cheap $5 autozone plugs and change them 3 times over the course of 100k miles or you can change them once with quality plugs and not worry about them for 100k.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts