8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i know nothing about audio but would like to upgrade the sound system in my lx, I do not listen to music with heavy bass, so i dont need a sub..

so i was thinking of getting speakers that can produce decent bass already so that i dont need to buy a sub...
also i believe the lx doenst have (the small speakers up front?)

I would like to purchase those too... and my friend also told me that i will need an amp and just forget about rear speakers...

anyways i drive an lx coupe, what kind of speakers are recommended that can produce pretty good bass so that i dont need a sub? thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
if youre looking for a good set of components up front thatll provide good midbass, I can recomend Focal and Boston Acoustics by personal experience, Hertz is also nice, but youll have to go into their higher end offerings, my Focal KP mids do a great job with bass on 75W of their own power

no matter which way you go though you WILL need to amplify them and to really get the potential youre going to want to bi-amplify them on active crossovers. . . I can recomend a JL 300/4 or really, for what you want youll want the 450/4

and LX Coupes do have said 'little speakers', called Tweeters, up front

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sounds like your friend is giving you some pretty decent advice. Like both your buddy and VTEC have said, you will want to run a decent amp, and a set of components. I also agree with your buddy that unless you want them for some reason, the end result will be better without rear speakers (from a purely SQ standpoint, anyway).

The main factor will be how much you want to spend. You can spend $150 on components and get decent results, or spend $1000. Same goes for the amplifier.

The most important thing is the quality of the install. Paying attention to details like reinforcing the door sheetmetal with beefy mounting rings to keep the doors from flexing, deadening the door sheet metal to keep it from ringing, and experimenting with custom tweeter placement will make all the difference in the world when it comes to the sound quality of the end result. If money is tight and you're not sure the best place to put it towards, definitely put it into the install. A cheap set of speakers with a good install will outperform an expensive set with a crummy one every time. If you are handy and can do things yourself, this is a great way to save money (and a satisfying hobby, IMO at least).

What VTEC is talking about - "going active", is a very good way to improve sound quality and gain full control over your front stage speakers. The amps that allow for this type of thing are more expensive than some others, but if you can afford it, it is definitely a very good way to go, and has the potential to improve sound quality dramatically.

Lastly, what set of speakers you go with will determine how much amplifier power you need (or vice versa). You need to make sure you have adequate power for whatever speakers you choose, otherwise your expensive, high end speakers will wind up sounding worse than cheaper units would. logically, the more powerful amplifiers tend to cost more, so this needs to be considered as well. This is especially important if you enjoy listening to your stereo at higher volume levels.

Sound is subjective, so what sounds good to one person may not necessarily sound good to another. For this reason, it will be highly beneficial to take a variety of your own musical collection with you and test out some different speaker sets, each on an amplifier somewhat close to what you plan on using. If you do run them active, you will have a lot more control, but its still good to start with a set that you find pleasing from the getgo.

Hans

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for the help guys, .. i heard good things about boston acoustics

but are there any specific models for tweeters and the front speakers u guys would recommend, im not planning to spend 1000+ but somewhere around 600-700 is fine with installation(hopefully) i duno if that is too little but ya..

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
youll be buying the tweeter and mid in a set so you dont have to worry too much about that sort of thing, just go out and find what you like at a shop, demo speakers and see what suits you, that sort of budget is reasonable since youre bypassing the subwoofer side of things, thus you can skip out on the costly electrical upgrades associated as such, you may have to end up spending more depending on what sort of equipment youd like, but as Hans said, the importance of trying this stuff out for yourself is immense, so go shopping at your local shops and see how it goes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts