8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know if anyone ever try this, but have anyone ever try using the X's Intake filter ( apexi filter ) on a different intake? like on an Injen Cai, and replace the Injen air filter with the apexi filter and see if the gain is the same as the X's intake or better, or could be less. just curious. :biggrin:i know that X's intake have a good air filter which help getting a better gain.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
i have thought the same thing.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It wouldn't give you any extra gain really, maybe ~1. X's intake has a special MAF housing that no other intake has, hence why it actually makes power instead running rich or lean like other intakes. The air filter is good, but its not the main factor.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you're concerned about heatsoak and extra power from an SRI, I've come up with a simple kit where you remove your left fog light hole, install a black screen, cut the front of the resonator box and use the factory piping to run forced cool air into your engine bay.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
The Civic is designed to pull all the hot ais out of the engine bay while your moving. the way the grill and body is designed the hot air gets sucked out under the car. so while your moving the intake should be getting fresh air. Well thats what Honda says anyway. But the air that hits the filter would have passed through the radiator so it will be warmer than the outside air. But it doesn't matter anyway, unless you have a throttle body bypass the air reaches the coolant temp anyway when it passes through the heated throttle body. I have a homemade X intake and I don't notice any difference when it gets hot. I don't Heatsoak is really a problem in this situation.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
anyone else leave there factory lower air box in when they put there SRI in like i did so theres a tube with the factory lower box throwing outside air directly at your filer? cuz thats what i did and theres pretty much 0 heat soak that i notice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Both of you are wrong. The lower portion of your airbox is simply a resonator. Unless you cut off the front and cut out your fog light hole outside air is not getting in from down there, reference the picture.

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
If you're concerned about heatsoak and extra power from an SRI, I've come up with a simple kit where you remove your left fog light hole, install a black screen, cut the front of the resonator box and use the factory piping to run forced cool air into your engine bay.
roflmao. so i guess people who run ITBS's without a hood should consider themselves in the forced induction category. :pat::eek2::eek:wneddance:

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
i don't know if anyone ever try this, but have anyone ever try using the X's Intake filter ( apexi filter ) on a different intake? like on an Injen Cai, and replace the Injen air filter with the apexi filter and see if the gain is the same as the X's intake or better, or could be less. just curious. :biggrin:i know that X's intake have a good air filter which help getting a better gain.
That's a really good idea to try. The Apexi filter has the best flow and filtration than the rest. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
xfactor said that heat didn't make that big of a difference on our cars. It's the vanes that he modifies which make the power with a better flowing filter and shorter piping.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a really good idea to try. The Apexi filter has the best flow and filtration than the rest. It's worth a try.
yes and then try using some of those foil like or something that you can wrap it around the Injen Cai to lower the heat. :thumb: never know it might be just as good as the x's intake. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.