8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
man, that sucks. I don't see how they would loosen on their own. I've never heard of that. No recent break ups, apperances on Maury Povich ( claiming you ARE the father )Had to've been some jealous tard or something. What about before the base, where were you? Maybe it happened there and you just didn't notice till leaving...

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
you say it's been a while since you worked on your car.... how did you put the lugs on last? Did you use a torque wrench, or have any idea how tight you had them on? Regardless, it doesn't seem likely that every lug would be loose. You're lucky

·
Registered
326 Posts
Dude that sucks, good thing you caught it before anything bad came of it! I would pick up at least three sets of wheel locks and put three of them on each wheel. then even if two are loosened again by some A-hole the other three will keep it attached to your car until you can fix it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
i had someone steal lugs off my car not too long ago. they 2 lugs of each front wheel and that was it. i was so pissed. who steals lugs??

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just because your lugs were loose doesn't mean someone loosened them. I'm not buying your theory at all. Who ever had them off last probably didn't tighten them enough. Why would someone take the time to loosen every lug nut? One wheel falling off would be enough to get you hurt.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
how do those locking ones work anyway?
you can't put a regular wrench on them to turn them loose. You have to have a "key" to turn them.

the outside is round, so you can't get a wrench on them to turn the lug. You have to have the "key" inserted into the design, to get them to twist off. Most people will have 1 wheel lock on a rim to keep thieves from stealing their wheels. But there is nothing stopping people from putting them on every lug.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just because your lugs were loose doesn't mean someone loosened them. I'm not buying your theory at all. Who ever had them off last probably didn't tighten them enough. Why would someone take the time to loosen every lug nut? One wheel falling off would be enough to get you hurt.
I did the last work on my car when I dropped it. But that was like 4 months ago. I know I had tightened them...I didn't do it with an impact or torque wrench but I know they were tight. I'm not a chump...I race ATV's...although this may seem unrelated...I change out wheels all the time on the track and one thing I always double check is the tightness of the wheels. I do no different on my car. So could I have left them loose....and it take the lug nuts 4 months to fall off...ummm I think they would have come off before now.

So yes...you are right that someone may not have loosened them...I have no proof....but it would be very odd that all of them were loose. And why would someone take the time to loosen them?....oh I don't know....why would anyone take the time to key your car or to do anything to your car? It's because some people are just malicious and they get off on this kinda stuff.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Im thinking it happened prior to being at the base.

I was thinking about that this morning and it's very likely that this is true.

·
Registered
55 Posts
man that sucks, i found an almost fool proof deterant besides locking nuts. i have installed slightly larger lugs but with same thread size ofcoarse. but this makes so no 4 way will have enough clearance to reach your lug nut. and now i use a 19mm/ 3/4 in spark plug adapter, attach that to the 4 way.. that plus 1 locking nut per tire. so now im good.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
If you tightened them without a torque wrench, couldn't that be why this happened? If they were all tightened to diff specs (which they were since you can't measure how hard you're tightening them without the aid of a torque wrench or whatnot), then wouldn't they loosen all by themselves?

When I was getting my tires mounted on my wheels I was talking with the guy doing them and he was showing me how you tighten the lugs in a certain pattern. While he was explaining it, he said that if the lugs aren't all tightened the same amount, then they will start to fall off over time. Maybe he's full of it? I have no idea

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
^ I know what you are saying but I've never torqued my lugs on any car I have ever owned when I've changed tires by myself and I've never had this problem, and I've owned a lot of cars in the 21 years since I got my license...So I know it is a possibility.

All in all though...since this happened I take a quick look at my wheels each time I get in the car in the morning and after work. Can't hurt right...LOL

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Happened to a kid a I knew...He was going 40...I was suprised nothing too bad happened but it wasn't good. That is so stupid...It's serious it could seriously hurt or kill somebody...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts