8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating for a while whether or not to get tints. Ive never been pulled over and would be pretty pissed if i got puller over for it :)police:illegal in front in NJ).

I dont like the blackout look so i may go with 50%, anyone have it, pics?

And what does everyone do when inspection comes around, pay a small shop and slip the guy $50?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
imo, 50% is too light, sometimes doesnt really look like you have tints at all. And its more of your luck to get pulled over, cause here in the part of cali i live, cops supposedly are suppose to be dicks, but ive never been pulled over for my tints (15%) and ive had countless cops pull up and even look at me. But ive heard of cases of the same area having people being pulled over at first for not having the front license plates, then getting a tint ticket ontop of it. So its more of your luck and ur cops in the area. Also sucks to live where they have those yearly car inspection things

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
new jersey law states that you can have any tint on any window of the car except the windshield...imo you should get 25% since you dont like the blackout look

·
Registered
637 Posts
From what I've read, NJ allows any tint on the rear sides and back window, but nothing on the front sides and windshield.

So with that in mind, know that you will get more looks from the police the darker you go. Also, tint darker than 35% will have you putting down the front windows and using the side view mirrors to back up. Finally, insurance companies can deny coverage if they find you have illegal tint and are in an accident and are at fault.

State Window Tinting Laws

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I've known people get ticketed in NJ for 70% film on the front windows! It all depends on the cop!

Si with 3M Color Stable 50% (embedded antenna safe, decent heat rejection for no metal)

Si with Global HP Fusion 50% (full metal film...goodbye AM radio reception)

Plenty of pics of 50% on others cars on my website Hurricane Tint serving Atlanta, Twin Cities (Minneapolis / St Paul) and Southern Minnesota because that's the legal limit in MN, but those are the only pics I have of civics.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would go with 35%.It is illegal to tint the front windows in CA too, but cops dont give u any problems with it. I have 35% in front and 20% in the back. My friend had 20% on his front windows and never got pulled over.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'd suggest getting something like 35% put on the fronts also. Cops usually don't pull you over "just for tints" but I have heard of them adding tint violations on to other traffic stops. When I lived in Miami I had 5% tints on an eclipse and the state limit is 25% and I never got pulled over for my tints. If you're gonna get tints that are illegal in your state then make sure that you drive safe and don't do anything to draw a cop's attention.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the responses, i guess ill have to with 35%:biggrin:

but those damn inspections will be annoying. Mines not for a couple years but i dont wanna have to remove it everytime. Im surprised theres not already a thread on what everyone does about inspection with illegal tints

·
Registered
580 Posts
What I'd suggest is to go to a hole in the wall type vehicle inspection shop and see if they'll let you swing by w/o having to get dinged for your tints. On the eclipse that I had w/ 5% tints, I was able to pass the Maryland state inspection (which has a limit of 35%) without him even asking me about the tints. It's a hit and miss kind of place but you can always go up the manger/inspector before hand and ask them if they'll let you slide with your current tints. If they say no then you just try another shop and see what happens. It's not like they can report you to the cops just for asking them if they're willing to let you slide w/ illegal tints.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i have 35% on the side, 20% on the back, and i'm really satisfied with them
i'm thinking of putting 50% on the front windshield

anyways here are some pics:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Dan,
Do you happen to know a shop to recommend in the Charlotte, NC area?
The only one I know about is:

Hours of operation are
Monday - Friday 9am-6pm
Saturday - 9am-3pm
Sunday - Closed

Contact information is
(704) 347-3775 = Main location
(704) 893-0097 = Matthews
(704) 225-1629 = Monroe
(704) 502-6065 = Mobile/Residentail/Commercial

Visit us on the web @ www.lightningmikes.com

However, I do not know them and haven't seen their work in person. If you search google for [ "lightning mikes" NC review ] you'll find a few people saying good things about them.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would go with 35%.It is illegal to tint the front windows in CA too, but cops dont give u any problems with it. I have 35% in front and 20% in the back. My friend had 20% on his front windows and never got pulled over.
can you post some pics. I wanna see what the contract looks like on a sedan, plus we both have ggs

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have Solargard Ultra Performance 50 (50% LT) on my GG sedan. My priorities were heat rejection, not getting pulled over, and LT. Solargard also has the Ultra Performance 75 (75% LT). In any case, be prepared to pay $$$ since it's their top of the line tint.

I was told by the guy who tinted my car that it's very hard to notice the difference between 40% and 50% unless you're side by side, and I tend to agree with him.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
What I'd suggest is to go to a hole in the wall type vehicle inspection shop and see if they'll let you swing by w/o having to get dinged for your tints. On the eclipse that I had w/ 5% tints, I was able to pass the Maryland state inspection (which has a limit of 35%) without him even asking me about the tints. It's a hit and miss kind of place but you can always go up the manger/inspector before hand and ask them if they'll let you slide with your current tints. If they say no then you just try another shop and see what happens. It's not like they can report you to the cops just for asking them if they're willing to let you slide w/ illegal tints.
heh.... i asked a cop about my illegal tints. I have 30%, 35% is legal. He said cops wont ticket in Boston area unless they're being an *******.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts