8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or are some of these new car features completely unnecessary? Things like keyless ignition, capless fuel fillers, automatic headlights/ wipers, and the like. Call me cheap or old-fashioned, how hard is it to stick the key in the ignition and turn it? Or unscrew a gas cap, or turn your headlights/ wipers on. I'm not paying extra for features that eliminate the most menial tasks. And those air-conditioned compartments are quite silly. I think they're just more things to break as the car gets old.

I love the scene on Top Gear where Jeremy shows off his automatic trunklid on his old Mercedes-Benz, and James says, "That's brilliant, actually, I have to concede that because what I've always found really difficult is this: *opens and closes his Rolls-Royce's trunklid manually*"

On the other hand, I do really like some features. Things like tire pressure monitoring, iPod/ USB jacks, audio buttons on the steering wheel, and bluetooth connectivity.

Any other useless/ useful features?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Keyless ignition is not pointless if you live where it is cold!

Seatbelt alarms are ridiculous.

Push button ignition is pointless.

The new bmw automatic shifting mechanism is confusing as hell. (and I drive cars for a living)

vtec......... just jokin

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Everything you listed is useless to me :shrug:, I guess I'm more old-school than you.

Most of this crap is in place to increase the overall price & profit margin on each car as well as give the driver the illusion that they're driving something "upscale" :laughing:.

It's just more stuff that breaks eventually.

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
TPMS is around because a$$hats couldn't check the air pressure in the tires on their own so the car has to tell them now to check the tires. Are you that stupid that you don't check your tires air pressure @ least once a month?

Audio controls on the steering wheels get in my way because I like to hold the steering wheel @ the 3 & 9 o'clock position. Oh my bad I'm not a :pimp: gripper & hole the sterring wheel @ 11, 12 or 1 o'clock position with one hand.

Bluetooth? I don't like to talk on the phone in general so why would I want to interrupt my drive with a phone call. I can't hear **** anyways because my exhaust is too loud.

Seatbelt alarms, put your f#cking seatbelt on before you start the car & you'll never hear it. It's not rocket science people. :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
the capless fuel thing rocks my pops fusion has it .... its nice not havin to try to fit the cap on that cheezy piece on the filler door and dropping it under your car when it misses...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
TPMS is around because a$$hats couldn't check the air pressure in the tires on their own so the car has to tell them now to check the tires. Are you that stupid that you don't check your tires air pressure @ least once a month...
Agreed, TPMS and bluetooth strike me as lot worse than no cap filler and keyless start. TPMS is just another device that further removes "a$$hats" needs to have any clue whats going on with their car and bluetooth makes it that much easier for the same numpty to yammer away while not paying attention to what they're doing.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Surprisingly, I use the trunk button on my key a lot. The push ignition thing is purely for looks... I mean it's pretty much the same amount of work.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
TPMS is around because a$$hats couldn't check the air pressure in the tires on their own so the car has to tell them now to check the tires. Are you that stupid that you don't check your tires air pressure @ least once a month?

Audio controls on the steering wheels get in my way because I like to hold the steering wheel @ the 3 & 9 o'clock position. Oh my bad I'm not a :pimp: gripper & hole the sterring wheel @ 11, 12 or 1 o'clock position with one hand.

Bluetooth? I don't like to talk on the phone in general so why would I want to interrupt my drive with a phone call. I can't hear **** anyways because my exhaust is too loud.

Seatbelt alarms, put your f#cking seatbelt on before you start the car & you'll never hear it. It's not rocket science people. :facepalm:
Too much of this stuff interferes with Darwin. Like we need even more stupid people around to breed yet more stupid people.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Good thread I agree...Why I love my s2k. Just a car and thats it.

I think turning the key then hitting the start button is kinda pointless tho lol

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
my brothers nissan has a keyless ignition. i find it so pointless only difference is instead of inserting the key you just turn the ignition. are we as people getting that lazy...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I like the blue tooth. I spend most of my day on the phone. Business, work, family event coordinations. It comes in handy if you need it.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
They're just finding more ways to make people lazier and lazier.

The key less start is for fat people so in the summer their car will be icy cold so they don't continue sweating profusely after their 10 foot walk to their car.

Capless fuel fillers so people don't have to turn something a few times, so the fatties can save their energy for opening the peanut butter jar.

Automatic headlights and fancy automatic transmissions so it takes even less intelligence to drive, and so the people with them can pay even less attention to the road so they can cause more wrecks while doing other things when they should be driving.

It's all about helping the fatties and idiots

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
They're just finding more ways to make people lazier and lazier.

The key less start is for fat people so in the summer their car will be icy cold so they don't continue sweating profusely after their 10 foot walk to their car.

Capless fuel fillers so people don't have to turn something a few times, so the fatties can save their energy for opening the peanut butter jar.

Automatic headlights and fancy automatic transmissions so it takes even less intelligence to drive, and so the people with them can pay even less attention to the road so they can cause more wrecks while doing other things when they should be driving.

It's all about helping the fatties and idiots[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
345 Posts
I disagree about TPMS. Clearly it's not hard to check your tire pressure once a month -- I check mind substantially more often than that and do a visual check pretty much whenever I get in the car. But a TPMS can alert you to a slow leak before the tire becomes visibly low, and before you get a chance to check the pressure.

Any more importantly, it would probably alert my wife to a problem before I check her tires. My car doesn't have TPMS and honestly I don't care. But hers does, and I'm glad about that.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
^I agree. Safety stuff is not really a convenience feature. Sure it's convenient that it lets you know when your tires are low instead of having to check them, but it's also just safer to have a second lookout for when things could go wrong. I supposed automatic headlights could fall into this category. But personally I think if you can't remember to turn on your headlights you shouldn't be driving the f'ing car at all

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
TPMS can be valuable. Even if you routinely check your tires, maybe a nail hits one of them and causes it to deflate rapidly.

Things I don't need: cruise control, automatic locks (on a coupe not sedan), electronic reclining, heated seats, electronic trunk release/closing, any form of iDrive, turning headlights, rain-sensing wipers (I can detect rain just fine thank you)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts