8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that there is a general difference between SI owners. Some like to shift right around 3k, while others let the motor rev and shift higher (i assume 4.5-5k).

Well, I used to always shift at 3k (normal driving), but decided today to make my regular shift points higher ~4k ...and the odd thing is, everything felt smoother. :eek:mg: I felt like my car actually wanted to go into 2nd gear, rather than sometime feeling notchy, and sometimes giving hesitation.

Is this normal? Do others notice a starch difference between shifting at ~3k vs. 4-4.5k?

My other question is, do gears "lock out" almost? If i am ever going 5-6mph i can't get it into first (reason i'm getting it into first is in traffic when i want to keep the car at 5mph or so). Likewise, similar situation, where the shifter won't go into 2nd at 15 or 16mph ... are these simply "too high" of speeds to shift into lower gear, or am I doing it wrong. :facepalm:

Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
you're thinking too much. become one with the vehicle. once its warmed up, get it vtec/redline once in a while.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Got to get the oils worked up. Vtec'ing there and there doesn't hurt, gives it some air, cleans out any carbon build up. lol. If anyone believes it or not. Reving it higher does make it smoother a little. Everything is working a little faster is all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bro the civic si is made to drive fast or at high revs note the redline of 8000 plus. Ive also noticed that when i shift at higher revs around 4k and 5k i get better gas milage.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I understand if you can't get into 1st at 5-6 mph, because of the lack of synchros in first, but how does the shifter not go into 2nd at 15-16 mph? Rev match to 2000 and slip it in.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
i find that different cars are happy at different spots. the Si loves to rev high. as far as shifting into first, most cars lock you out until you're pretty much almost completely stopped.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I notice that there is a general difference between SI owners. Some like to shift right around 3k, while others let the motor rev and shift higher (i assume 4.5-5k).

Well, I used to always shift at 3k (normal driving), but decided today to make my regular shift points higher ~4k ...and the odd thing is, everything felt smoother. :eek:mg: I felt like my car actually wanted to go into 2nd gear, rather than sometime feeling notchy, and sometimes giving hesitation.

Is this normal? Do others notice a starch difference between shifting at ~3k vs. 4-4.5k?

My other question is, do gears "lock out" almost? If i am ever going 5-6mph i can't get it into first (reason i'm getting it into first is in traffic when i want to keep the car at 5mph or so). Likewise, similar situation, where the shifter won't go into 2nd at 15 or 16mph ... are these simply "too high" of speeds to shift into lower gear, or am I doing it wrong. :facepalm:

Thanks.
1. Yes the gears do lock out, but not because the reason your giving. If you force it the car will not accept it most of the time. (2nd-3rd gear) This is what I have found out about first gear, 5mph is the best speed to take your foot completely off the clutch without bucking. (you have to take it off slowly or you will lurch forward some) Under that you will need to use some clutch to keep it smooth. As for 2nd there is always a slight buck when you take your foot off the gas. Its just the gear ratios.

Don't worry about it. The car has an 8k redline and can handle shifting at 4k. If you prefer to shift that high, more power to you. You will still get good mpg.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My normal driving shifting is between 2500 and 3000 rpms. And I get an average of 740kms to a full tank of gas. Between both city and highway driving. Shifting higher, least on my car, I burn through gas a lot faster.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can't seem to get anything over 500km in my Si, but then again it's brand new and has only 3k on so far, does that have something to do with break in?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
you guys must shift real fast to shift that low, no wonder you guys jerk so much. i found shifting below 3500 is pretty hard to do unless im making a concious effort to shift at such a low rpm. in actuality, i don't even look at the tach most of the time, i usually shift by sound and feel. that's how i am with every car, and that's how i get smooth shifts.

·
Registered
809 Posts
you guys must shift real fast to shift that low, no wonder you guys jerk so much. i found shifting below 3500 is pretty hard to do unless im making a concious effort to shift at such a low rpm. in actuality, i don't even look at the tach most of the time, i usually shift by sound and feel. that's how i am with every car, and that's how i get smooth shifts.
Must be something wrong with the cars. My car shifts smooth and no jerking around... I have shifted around the same spots since I got the car. And it was bought new with only 100kms on it. That was Aug 09. Now I have 46k on it, and still works the same and good as ever. Only jerks around when its cold, which explains itself.

I was only getting low kms when got car. around 500kms. Then I swtiched to full synthetic (syntec), drop in K&N air filter. And now I average 740kms to a full tank. I also fill the tank as far as it can go. I get 200kms before she even moves off the full mark. Its great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My normal driving shifting is between 2500 and 3000 rpms. And I get an average of 740kms to a full tank of gas. Between both city and highway driving. Shifting higher, least on my car, I burn through gas a lot faster.
Ok... how is someone getting 460 miles on a tank??

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You think to much when doing it cause I shift 3k and don't jerk at all. For a note: 3-3500k is not low for the si. Really, at least from what ive noticed, its the best time to shift the car. Well when your not in a hurry then 5k.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
You think to much when doing it cause I shift 3k and don't jerk at all. For a note: 3-3500k is not low for the si. Really, at least from what ive noticed, its the best time to shift the car. Well when your not in a hurry then 5k.
its not about thinking too much, 3k rpms just comes too fast, i don't like to shift that fast. 4500 is the middle of the rev range and it just feels more natural to shift near the middle. like i said, i don't even look at the tach, just go off of sound and feel. my shifts are mostly smooth. when i had my R18 i would shift around 3k, but that car the tach only went to 8k instead of 9k, and being that car is much slower, it just seemed easier.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I understand if you can't get into 1st at 5-6 mph, because of the lack of synchros in first, but how does the shifter not go into 2nd at 15-16 mph? Rev match to 2000 and slip it in.
1. Yes the gears do lock out, but not because the reason your giving. If you force it the car will not accept it most of the time. (2nd-3rd gear) This is what I have found out about first gear, 5mph is the best speed to take your foot completely off the clutch without bucking. (you have to take it off slowly or you will lurch forward some) Under that you will need to use some clutch to keep it smooth. As for 2nd there is always a slight buck when you take your foot off the gas. Its just the gear ratios.

Don't worry about it. The car has an 8k redline and can handle shifting at 4k. If you prefer to shift that high, more power to you. You will still get good mpg.
I will try to gauge on Monday what is exactly happening when i try to go into 2nd. But like i said, i notice that i just can't go into 2nd sometime, as if something is "blocking it from going in" like the gate isn't open or something.

About the first gear thing... what is the proper method in this situation?

You are in traffic and get up to 2nd gear, but than traffic suddenly slows down to around 4-6mph.. what do you do?

Do you guys never shift into 1st than unless you are completely stopped (0mph)?

In terms of the smoother shifting, I almost feel like at higher RPMS the shifter is ready to move into the next gear, like being at 12-15mph in 1st than hitting clutch, and moving into 2nd, the stick is practically just rolling into 2nd; where as at 5-10mph I am having to move the shifter from 1st to 2nd.

This sounds silly when i'm putting it into words, but idk how else to describe it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I keep track of my MPG with an app on my phone. I spent a few tanks consciously shifting at 3k (or even less) to see if it improved gas mileage -- if it did, it was negligible, or inconclusive due to other factors. A normally-driven tank of shifting around 4000 - 4500 RPM (estimate) with perhaps a few hard accelerations thrown in for good measure will yield anywhere from 26 to 28 MPG. Make it mostly a highway tank under the same normal conditions, 30 to 31 MPG. A tank literally full of moderate launching and sustained high RPM driving (autocross) yielded 24 MPG.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know the gas mileage I get can be speculated, seem far fetched, or no body believes me, but I'm telling yeah thats what I get. I reset the trip every fill up. All I have on car is drop in K&N Filter, and Castrol Syntec. And I am no grannie driver either. So I dunno what more to say... lol. Maybe I am jusy lucky... lol.

I used to get the same gas mileage with my 2003 Civic LX and my 2004 Civic SI. Same set up, except I had a AEM V2 CAI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts