8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This actually happened a few weeks ago, I couldn't even get myself to think about it without getting extremely upset so that is why I haven't written in before about. Freaking car was a month and half old and perfect.

Was sitting at a stoplight at an exit ramp from a highway, behind an F150 truck. Out of nowhere I got slammed, couldn't stop the car from hitting the truck so I hit him too.

Luckily somehow the car only has front and rear bumper damage, somehow the rear bumper looks good other than paint scuffs on the bottom. The car that barrelled into me was an old 90s Crown Victoria, some old guy without a clue, saying his brakes failed him. He looked out of it but I didn't smell alcohol or anything. But the deadbeat didn't have insurance, and now I am screwed as I have to go through my own company and pay the deductable.

Can't believe this happened, but am impressed with how well the Civic took the hit.

Anyone with experience with this at all? Getting brand new bumper covers and hopefully they get the NHBP paint just right, though I am going to a body shop affiliated with the Honda dealer and they seem pretty well informed about the car and the paint. What should I expect? Will this kill my resale even though it isn't that bad? The car drives perfect thank God. But could this have caused any other problem? Hopefully the dang body shop doesn't add get scratches elsewhere on the car by being clumsy or careless like dealer service people usually are.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
no insurance + accident = lawsuit = money for you. take advantage of it, its not your falt he didnt have insurance.

lol, they always blame the Brakes failing, but i guarntee if you got in tHE car and press on tHE brakes they work fine. just some old guy who should have had their license taken awaY a long time ago.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Not worth suing if the bonehead doesn't have money either, which is my guess if he didn't have insurance. It will be a waste of time/money. Maybe see what a lawyer says. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ no doubt. The cops wouldn't let him drive his car off, he had a spare brake fluid bottle in his trunk, said he just needed more fluid, but the cop was like yeah right moron you're not getting back in so you can go rear-end someone else, so they towed it off. Turns out he had another problem and actually had a suspended license too - I think they were taking him in but I left before they did so I don't know what exactly happened.

So how would you actually collect money from an idiot deadbeat like this guy is? To me it sounds like I could end up losing more money and valuable time trying to go to court over this if I never get paid, this guy seems like he'd be OK to go to jail than pay up.

Anyone with NHBP have to get certain parts of the car repainted, and did it match perfectly? I'm worried they won't get the blue specks right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got rear ended by the Crown Vic, and hit a Ford truck in front of me. Most of the damage was caused by the truck's tow hitch, it caused a big square indentation in my front bumper and bent the whole thing out, but I didn't hit the truck that hard, just got "squeezed" into him I guess, almost was able to stop the car.

I'm worried there's bigger damage to the rear bumper when they take the bumper cover off, as I said it was a hard hit, the guy had to be going at least 15-20 or more with a big old car with a V8.

So I guess moral to the story is, I will be even more paranoid than I was before when driving, people are generally idiots out on the road, and never, never trust old people driving Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, big Cadillacs, Town Cars, Buicks, etc. And from now on I'll be watching my rear view mirror closely when sitting at a light.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Anyone with experience with this at all? Getting brand new bumper covers and hopefully they get the NHBP paint just right, though I am going to a body shop affiliated with the Honda dealer and they seem pretty well informed about the car and the paint. What should I expect? Will this kill my resale even though it isn't that bad? The car drives perfect thank God. But could this have caused any other problem? Hopefully the dang body shop doesn't add get scratches elsewhere on the car by being clumsy or careless like dealer service people usually are.
I was rear ended by a nurse, driving an Odyssey as she was reading MapQuest in the left hand lane on the express way. Initially, I thought the rear bumper cover only needed replacement. I was wrong. I removed the spare and it was obvious that the car would need some serious body work. The trunk was crumpled, as it's designed to do, and needed to be replaced.

Here is a short list of what was done to fix it:
Rear bumper cover replaced, primed and painted
Bumper had to be replaced
Paint had to be blended to the rest of the body
Entire trunk bottom had to be removed and replaced
Frame had to be straightened out

Grand total of just over $5000, which was paid by the insurance company.

·
idgaf
6,952 Posts
no insurance? was he an illegal immigrant?

·
Registered
273 Posts
i dont think not having insurance & license is strictly reserved for illegal immigrants... plenty of legal citizens dont have either & are idiot drivers

to the op g/l with everything.. stay on top of that body shop, make sure ur satisfied with the results

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your insurance company will automatically go after him legally to recoup their money. It will not affect your insurance however. And if your insurance company is a good one the first amount of money they collect will go back to you to repay your deductible. At least that's what Allstate did for us when we had a non insured motorist collision.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got hit by an old guy in a Cutlass. Smashed up my whole side *tear* but no airbags thankfully. Took two weeks to fix, no rental included. Im now waiting for my $500 deductible to be returned cause this guy ran a stop sign. Insurance companies suck! So I would say you could sue him for a rental + deductible but then you have to get a lawyer :banghead:. Good luck man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A few years back when my 02 SI EP got hit, (nhb) the insurance company sent me to a chevy dealership to get it repaired. I wasn't very happy about taking it there but the chevy guy said he would do the job right or give me my money back. They had to strighten out the rear subframe, new foam inserts and a new bumper. When I got it back, the paint matched flawlessly and the new rear bumper fit better than when I got new.
Another time my passenger side door got mauled by a bicycle. I took it to the same dealership. Again, they fixed it an painted it.
I can only vouch for repair shop here, but I would think most repair shops will do a better job at fitting replacement parts and painting them than honda did while making your car.

·
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre
6,296 Posts
to the OP- if you are having your car looked at by a honda body shop, don't worry about it. I was rear ended by a younger lady who wasn't paying attention at all, and the Honda body shop here fixed everything without a problem.

I had another incident not too long ago in which my insurance company sent me to a ford dealership. let me just say that I was not satisfied with the results.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
i dont think not having insurance & license is strictly reserved for illegal immigrants... plenty of legal citizens dont have either & are idiot drivers

to the op g/l with everything.. stay on top of that body shop, make sure ur satisfied with the results
that is the best advice you've gotten...be invoved cause once its done, its so hard to get it re-fixed

·
Registered
834 Posts
This actually happened a few weeks ago, I couldn't even get myself to think about it without getting extremely upset so that is why I haven't written in before about. Freaking car was a month and half old and perfect.

Was sitting at a stoplight at an exit ramp from a highway, behind an F150 truck. Out of nowhere I got slammed, couldn't stop the car from hitting the truck so I hit him too.

Luckily somehow the car only has front and rear bumper damage, somehow the rear bumper looks good other than paint scuffs on the bottom. The car that barrelled into me was an old 90s Crown Victoria, some old guy without a clue, saying his brakes failed him. He looked out of it but I didn't smell alcohol or anything. But the deadbeat didn't have insurance, and now I am screwed as I have to go through my own company and pay the deductable.

Can't believe this happened, but am impressed with how well the Civic took the hit.

I feel you

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-si/69517-another-si-crashed.html

I'm taking mine to the shop today. It just kills everything to think that people are so stupid. ANd sometimes you blame yourself "what if i would have done this or that" you know.

Well good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You need to consult a trial lawyer. Dont rely on your insurance company to recover money - thats a big roll of the dice. If he doesnt have insurance, get the lawyer involved so they can work with him and your insurance and get everything paid for, otherwise you could pay money now and have to wait for them to recover something, which I promise will not happen. Take it from someone who is dealing with this right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.