8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Some idiot lost the key to my wheel locks...

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  cny 
#1 ·
...yeah, it was me.

I was installing the HFP suspension kit this weekend and misplaced the key to my Rays lugs. I spent about an hour yesterday after work looking for it in the garage and can't find it.

So what are my options? Has anyone else here done this? I no longer have the packaging the nuts came in, so if Rays makes more than one key shape I don't know if I'll be able to order a replacement. I don't even know if I can order a replacement. The nut is seven sided with a channel recessed into one of the sides. I know tools exist to get them off, but is that my only option? Input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm sure you can order another one.. have you tried ebay or googling it?
companies aren't dumb enough to not make extras for those who lose theirs
unless they do it on purpose so you have to buy another set of lugs just to get the key...
try searching around (not on 8th)

#3 ·
I know in a lot of cases you can order a replacement, but you need a serial number to do it. I think I may have tossed the packaging with the serial number. I doubt the keys are universal for all Rays lugs, that wouldn't really make sense. The other annoying part is that these nuts come from Japan, so I would in all likelyhood have to have a replacement key shipped from Japan, taking time and costing mucho dinero...

#13 ·
Rolow said:
I'd post in the regional forum and try to meet up with people with rays keys so you can figure out which one you need then contact mackin and try order a new one.

Any one know how many different keys rays have?
I don't think Mackin will be able to help because I don't think they officially import the Rays Lugs. I could be wrong about that.

#14 ·
Pepboys sells emergency wheel lock removed but u do need an impact wrench.... had the same thing happen last week with my HFP wheels and stock honda wheel locks... but u do have to buy new locks... thats prolli the last thing you want to do. my key was broken i had no other choice

#16 ·
SiFGtwo said:
Pepboys sells emergency wheel lock removed but u do need an impact wrench.... had the same thing happen last week with my HFP wheels and stock honda wheel locks... but u do have to buy new locks... thats prolli the last thing you want to do. my key was broken i had no other choice
Doesn't that completely go against the purpose of the wheel locks? Lol

#22 ·
The sets have different keys.

Your going to need a new set.

The locknuts are 7 sided. So it's not the "special groove" that is the lock. It's the weird formed nuts that are.

The groove is different for each RAYS set, to keep your socket from being able to unlock another persons set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.