8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
so I've got about 300 bucks to spend, and was considering getting a header. The performance gains from race headers are enticing, but I don't want to throw any CEL's or get into any warranty issues from not having a cat. I would consider doing this when the warranty is up. My question is; would it even be worth it to get a non-race header. and install that, until the warranty is up, then I can swap out for a race header?

OR-

I could just as easily get some pulleys, a TB spacer...something like that, and just wait to install the race header until I don't have to worry about a warranty anymore.

ALSO

I've read that some of the race-header installs include removing the front bumper and/or hoisting the engine up. Could this be avoided by installing a non-race header. I think I can get my hands on a megan racing header for a 02-06 RSX-S. would that even fit. Sorry for the n00b ?'s and the long novel. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
i installed my dc race header before my warrenty was up and they have never given me any trouble at the honda dealership. a header will give you the best gains out of any bolt part available. recently there have been a few dcrh's for sale for under 300, but to find a new one you will have to buy a strup or something because i think dc is not making them any more. also i have a defouler on the second o2 sensor and have had no troubles with cel's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
p.s. I've also heard of people beating the CEL's and passing emissions by using spark-plug defoulers....sounds good, but would that cause a problem with my warranty when I take my car to honda for its 120pt. inspection and they notice that i don't have a cat?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i installed my dc race header before my warrenty was up and they have never given me any trouble at the honda dealership. a header will give you the best gains out of any bolt part available. recently there have been a few dcrh's for sale for under 300, but to find a new one you will have to buy a strup or something because i think dc is not making them any more. also i have a defouler on the second o2 sensor and have had no troubles with cel's.
he beat me to it with the defouler. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uhh...i don't really know if there's a "120pt inspection" per say...
but there's things they'll check for when you take it in for warranty services. like your 50k and 100k checkups. I'm just wondering if that's something that they'll notice, and void my warranty for.

btw, did you have the hoist the engine up to put the header on? or is there enough room to remove the old one and put on the new one with no probs?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
there is no void stamp that they slap on a piece of paper. i have never had any troubles with taking my car in for service with i/h/e/pulleys. they have honestly never said a thing. if by what ever chance something were to go bad in the engine like if i were to bend a valve or something like that, im sure they would try to give me a hard time about fixing it under warranty. but the bottom line is, legally they have to prove that the part you installed DIRECTLY caused the failure. if not you will eventually get your warranty work done.

also i made my defouler based on the diy on this site (not sure if it is still up, because i remember there being some controversy over it or something). if not just google it, and some other forum will have it up. its super easy to do, and only like 4 bucks to make.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i would.....is install a pain with these 1 piece race headers?

No its not as bad as people say it is..i did mine with no problems on jack stands in the garage w an extra pair of hands..the hardest part to me was getting the RH in but its not impossible and u do not have to lower the sub frame..i say go for it bc i have not had any problem with the warranty either. Strup ftw! good luck bro :wavey:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.