8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tried it out, but it led me thinking.

I always felt my EX coupe lacked more bass. I went with the aftermarket amp/sub combo, wired it into the rear speakers.. Had it bumping, but I hated it. I couldn't control the bass at all, except for whatever the amp gave me. I also hated how it took up space in the trunk since I started using it more often. So I sold everything.

Coming back now, I want to just replace the factory woofer with something better. But I need to find out a few things first.

- The headunit either has 4 pairs of wires (FL, FR, RL, RR) or it has 5 pairs (extra pair for the subwoofer). If it has 5 pairs, then it will be best for what I want to do.. otherwise the 4 pair probably won't help at all. Since the radio has a subwoofer gain control, that might be enough to lower/raise the bass levels from the radio. Obviously, a mid-high end aftermarket headunit is best since you have full control over every aspect of the system.

- if it has 5 pairs, then I can do this. Here's how.. - instead of tapping into the subwoofer speakers by the woofer, where the audio is already amped.. i'm going to tap into the 2 wires coming right from the headunit - before being amped. This will give me a better signal to work with.

- attach a LOC to conver the wires into RCA - run a pair of RCA's to the trunk. Run a power wire from the battery to the rear. Install an amp - probably a single 75-100watt x 1 channel is plenty. You can mount it probably against the back seat or somewhere. Its only an amp, so it won't take up much space at all. I was considering under the seat, but people tend to put their feet under the front seats, or possible fire.

- now run the speaker wire from the amp into the new woofer, and it should sound better than stock with control. Best part is, you can always go back to stock by removing all the aftermarket stuff, and putting the stock sub back in.

I'm going to pull the radio out over the weekend and see how its setup. If it has 5 pairs, then i'm definitely going to do this. If not, then I'm not going to bother.

I remember the RSX, I think only had 4 pairs going to the amp.. Out of the amp, it had 7 pairs - All four mid-sized speakers, the 2 tweeters up front, and the subwoofer in the back.

The problem with the 4 pair is, bass is dependent on how much bass you give your speakers too. With the EX.. I can have the subwoofer on 6 and bass on -5 and I don't hear the stock subwoofer at all - maybe its a defect or something.

I have to have the subwoofer on 6 and the bass on +3 to hear some decent bass..but then as you raise the volume.. it distorts like crazy.

If I do install the subwoofer.. i'm going to replace the factory front speakers next.. Something with a 90-92db and low RMS power.. I was thinking of the Boston Accoustics.. they are around 119 on crutchfield.

In short, if I can tap right from the stock headunit.. then I can have some better control of the bass if the radio is setup that way. Otherwise, aftermarket headunit is the only way to go.

If anyone already has information on the radio wires coming out.. please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No defect in the factory unit, I thought the same thing at first but finally resigned my self to the fact that the Bass is very weak. :xyxnervou
What kind of woofer are you considering?

Okx1

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i spliced my subwoofer into my rear speaker and my subwoofer level on the stock head unit still affects my aftermarket output. Probably because the headunit simple has 4 outputs and at the stock amp, the subwoofer is also spliced into the rear speakers and it just uses a LPF. Most of this is just speculation based my experience with my stock system in my Si... Why was such an old thread dug up newayz? lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts