8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those DOHC-heads, try another thread. This thread is just for us SOHC enthusiasts and our low-compression ratio, high pinging, 7 grand top-out engines.

I have been one to always like both DOHC and SOHC. But I have also seen a properly tuned SOHC blast our DOHC friends.

So this thread was started for us SOHC tuners. Let's build a powerful SOHC motor starting here.

1. Lower compression ratio on the engine = perfect for Turbo or Supercharger.
2. Regulated flow exhaust, not to lose all the backpressure but to equalize it. (Custom tubing, mandrel bends, etc. etc.)

Next?!

:hitit:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
im liking my DOHC but i give u props on tryin to make something happen with the SOHC guys... goodluck on givin us si guys a run :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
:iough:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Nice, i think i will go for a Supercharger over the turbo, since there will ne no turning require like in the turbo! or atleast not as much..

Man it can be years before we see anything for this car, so you only option to outrun or give Si guys a run is the nitrous..

I will like to see someone upgrade the engine to handle safely a 100 shot..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa guys!
Not to start an inter-civic fight but I''ve seen some 8th gen SI's get blown away by some pretty ridiculous opponents. (Non-GT, Non-Cobra Mustang, CRX, and my fav, a 94 civic 4dr SOHC turbo etc.)

****have i just started a DOHC v. SOHC war?

hahahah

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll make this a bit more detailed for starters.

As I said before, the lower compression ratio in the SOHC all the way back to the 4th gens is perfect for turbo or SuperChargers. I prefer the turbo because it is a bit more flexible as to what pressure can be added or subtracted. Flop a nice sized intercooler and BOV on the thing and you've got some easy add HP.

As for the Nitro, I'd rather just set fire to my intake manifold than strap a newb tank to the trunk, right next to my obnoxiously loud autobahn 15 inch woofer.

Compression balance is key for safe and productive boosting. I used to have a 91 Talon, emphasis on used to. Threw a nice 18g on it. Smashed a piston and threw a rod straight threw the block at 75 in 4th. 75! That's horrible! What kinda run will get you to highway crusin speeds and blow your engine. You want boost through the powerband that will pull the car, not push it over the edge.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Typerx7 said:
Whoa guys!
Not to start an inter-civic fight but I''ve seen some 8th gen SI's get blown away by some pretty ridiculous opponents. (Non-GT, Non-Cobra Mustang, CRX, and my fav, a 94 civic 4dr SOHC turbo etc.)
I mean...were the other cars modded? if they were it's not saying much. Almost any car (99%) can be made fast if you have the money...engine swap, turbo, etc... It's no insult to an 8th gen Si owner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the mustang was not modded and the CRX had intake and exhaust.

The 94 civic was turbo with complete engine overhaul.

I think a big prob with the 8th gen is weight. Both the CRX and 94 civic are too light. The longer windows really add the lbs.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
ooo im scared, but seriously sayonara to you're blocks.
This Guy was driving regularly too
My R18 block cracked - check yours...
There have been a few other posts on R18 blocks cracking - but here's my short story...

My 06 EX 2dr is totally stock, never abused & I do all my own routine maintenance. I just crossed 17k miles.
I get home the other night, get out & my whole garage smells like antifreeze. Open the hood & see the block cracked on the front face (look behind the EGR valve) with coolant still seeping out with the engine off. I look under the car & found a stream of coolant running aft on the oil pan & dripping on the floor. The engine never ran hot, but my coolant recovery tank was almost empty. I topped off the recovery tank & limped it to the dealer.

Honda Tech hotline acknowledges this problem and is tracking it. However, if you call Honda's 800# for customer service, they claim to know nothing. Per the Tech line, the assumption is there are a few porous blocks out there due to some bad castings.

Under warranty they will replace the shortblock only. The old head (& trans) will be put on the new shortblock. Just letting you know that you do not get a whole new engine. Dealer said it would take a couple days after parts arrive. They also got me a free rental.

Below is a pic of where to look & smell for anti-freeze seeping out. If yours has a problem get it to the dealer asap before further damage.

I'll report back after mine is fixed...
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42339&highlight=engine+block+crack
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36207&highlight=engine+block+crack

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Good luck keepen up :p

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Typerx7 said:
Those DOHC-heads, try another thread. This thread is just for us SOHC enthusiasts and our low-compression ratio, high pinging, 7 grand top-out engines.

I have been one to always like both DOHC and SOHC. But I have also seen a properly tuned SOHC blast our DOHC friends.

So this thread was started for us SOHC tuners. Let's build a powerful SOHC motor starting here.

1. Lower compression ratio on the engine = perfect for Turbo or Supercharger.
2. Regulated flow exhaust, not to lose all the backpressure but to equalize it. (Custom tubing, mandrel bends, etc. etc.)

Next?!

:hitit:
SOHC is better? Lower compression is better? Hm... That's the first time I have heard that.

State your facts on the SOHC is better deal. There is a reason why most performance cars use DOHC with high compression. N/A is the way to go, especially on the track with a high compression and DOHC... Just look at performaning cars like the Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, Lambo...

·
Registered
649 Posts
i still don't understand why SOHC's are regarded as "inferior" or automatically slow and not worth the time....

i would love to see what an all-motor buildup could produce...i think it would be sweet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
KingMarineM16a4 said:
. ...N/A is the way to go, especially on the track with a high compression and DOHC... Just look at performaning cars like the Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, Lambo...
Just look at performance cars like the Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, Lambo's DISPLACEMENT. Thats the big difference between our cars and theirs. We have almost 3x less displacement than those cars (except for Lotus). Displacement is key to easy performance in a NA motor. While DOHC's are wildly efficient and 5 valve motors are even more efficient, its still a worthwhile cause for the R18 owners of the world. Some couldn't justify the price of the Si (like most of us). Sleepers are always cool in my book. If someone in an 8th gen DX/EX were to line up with me on the track I would laugh. If they blew me out of the water, I would give that person mad props and go cry cause I laughed at them. SOHC owners you got my kudos!

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
autumnalfalls said:
Just look at performance cars like the Ferrari, Lotus, Porsche, Lambo's DISPLACEMENT. Thats the big difference between our cars and theirs. We have almost 3x less displacement than those cars (except for Lotus). Displacement is key to easy performance in a NA motor. While DOHC's are wildly efficient and 5 valve motors are even more efficient, its still a worthwhile cause for the R18 owners of the world. Some couldn't justify the price of the Si (like most of us). Sleepers are always cool in my book. If someone in an 8th gen DX/EX were to line up with me on the track I would laugh. If they blew me out of the water, I would give that person mad props and go cry cause I laughed at them. SOHC owners you got my kudos!
Lotus has less displacement than the Si.

Porsche's 3.6 in the GT3 gives 415 hp
Ferrari's 4.3 in the F430 pushes 490 hp
Lambo's 5.0 in the Gallardo pushes 520 hp
BMW 3.2 in the M3 pushes 333 hp
BMW 3.2 in the Z4 M pushes 330 hp
Honda 2.0 in the AP1(S2000) pushes 240 hp
Honda 2.2 in the AP2(S2000) pushes 237 hp(regulated hp)
Or even Hondas 3.x(5 I think) F1 motor making almost 800 hp

All those cars aren't 3 times the displacement of a 2.0 and they all give OVER 100hp/liter which is why the high compression with DOHC OWNS! They all don't have much TQ but are track queens.

Need I continue?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts