8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started a thread, the other day, but decided to delete it because i felt it came off wrong. but now i have questions...which mightve been answered in the first thread...but i cant edit it to start it back up. clear? not really? ok...

sooooo....i bought an 07 Si coupe for my wife as a daily. she travels for work and her (former) primary car is a '19 M4. i know what youre thinking but...when we took delivery 9 months ago, her gig wasnt as booming as it is now. so we needed something to keep the miles from torpedoing the value and killing the warranty. enter the Si.

the 07 is in immaculate condition. an folder full of service records and an appearance to match. 205k miles raises an eyebrow but...hey...its a Honda. new clutch about 30k miles ago, serpentine belts, recall/replacement of tranny for 3rd gear issues, etc. im very happy.

so happy that i seem to be driving the car more than she is. which kinda pisses me off. now...im thinking of making it MY car. i've installed LED bulbs (because there's really no going back to halogen once you've had better), a new stereo with bluetooth, rearview cam and CarPlay (same reason as the bulbs) and a shift knob from WC Latheworks (loved the weight from my previous 370Z).

so if she's not gonna drive it for its intended use...and even if she does....im thinking of making this a track car. i've been a sim racer for decades. to the point that i created a dedicated room in the basement. now may be the time to make my dreams reality. and this car...with its cheap maintenance...seems a perfect match.

so....what are you folks opinion? is the mileage too high for this endeavor? i have an AC that only blows cold when the car is moving. the previous owner replaced the AC clutches. what gives? does it, indeed, need the dreaded compressor?

i know this forum isnt as active as it mightve been back in the day. but i would appreciate some feedback. i've always been pretty active on car forums and plan to be on this one if there is actual feedback. let me know...

here are a few pics of our cars and my old sim setup. i have no doubt that the Si will be evolving....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Welcome to 8thcivic!

I love the sim set up. Always wished I could have one some day. Anyways, in my opinion I don't see any issue with turning the Si into a track car. From what I gather you don't depend on it for a daily driver and neither does your wife.

So really what do you have to lose in working towards having the Si a track car? Even if you started with simple upgrades like suspension, and tires while leaving the motor untouched I think it will treat you well. Being the mileage is up there there is probably a chance something in it will let go if it's constantly abused on the track, but really you can't predict that.

If you want a track car I'd use it as such. If the motor goes and you still enjoy the track then I'd even start budgeting for either a swap or a rebuild down the line. When that day comes you will likely swap or build a better track oriented motor anyways

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts