8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago, I noticed that my front passenger side tire was flat (I have an Si), and of course I went about changing it. I put the spare in its place, and later on, when I opened up the manual last night to get some basic info regarding driving on the spare, I noticed that it says that placing the spare on the front will damage the LSD due to the size difference (a couple of pages after, it says it MAY damage the LSD, so I don't know). I didn't even consider this when I changed the tire. Anyway, I needed new tires anyway, so rather than put the flat back on the front, take the spare off and put it on the back, then put the back on the front (the only jack I have is the one the car came with), I just kept it on until I got new tires this afternoon.

So I basically drove a day and a half with the spare on the front. Is there any way for me to determine if the LSD has been damaged (besides going to the dealership), and to what extent? I've been paying closer attention to hearing if anything sounds out of the ordinary, but it's hard for me to be objective since I'm paying closer attention to sounds I that may have always been there and now I'm just noticing. If it is 'damaged,' is it the kind of really obvious type of damage, or is the manual referring to something that could be quite subtle, and become a major problem later on?

Thanks for all your help, everyone- a damaged differential is not exactly something I've had to deal with in the past, and I have no idea what I'm looking for when examining potential problems.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
corner hard

and feel the car straighten up by itself (u feel the rear of the car balancing itself out, and making the car go straight)....without VSA engagement

thats when i feel it kick in.

dont goof up in the process....

·
Registered
970 Posts
Uh, absolutely don't corner hard with the space saver spare on.

And day-and-a-half doesn't help anyone reassure you. How many miles and at what speeds?

There's really no good way to have you self-diagnose.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm no expert so do the following at ur own risk.

1. u can test it by dropping the clutch in 1st and seeing if u leave 2 tire marks instead of one..lol, try AT UR OWN RISK I AM SIMPLY GUESSING HERE!!!

2. drive very slowly with the windows down in a quiet area and listen for any sory of clicking or scrapping.

3. I would ASSUME that if you went in a straight line and let the steering wheel go u would continue traveling in a straight line, i know my si does. but if the LSD wasnt working and only one wheel was pulling u would start to lean to one direction.

4. I had a 04 Jeep wrangler rubicon with a limited slip in the rear AND front. and there were a few times that i blew one of those mud terrains on a sharp rock and had to put my spare on (from 42in down to 32in) and even though i KNEW this was bad to do i still did it because lets face it, im a mile in the mud and cant exactly call a towtruck. The jeep always made it back with out a problem i would just notice time to time while driving back u would hear the spare tire chirp a bit because the LSD was locking it in place at the same speed of the other tire.

I personally believe that if you drove ur car with the spare for just a short period of time "1 and 1/2 days" at moderate speeds (50 and below) it would not have caused any damage. But again, im no professional.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts