8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have some interior lighting in the front footwells. its just cold cathods like many of the users on this forum. i tapped into the right headlight to power the cathods. the ground is in the center console, and all my connections are soldered (sp?). my fuse blew last night, then i tried about 4 more and they all blew. i think i ended up blowing my f**king headlights too because they wouldnt turn on, both left and right. why are my fuses blowing? and which fuse should i tap into now?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
somthing is grounding out or ur fuses are to weak. id sudgest u stop putting fuses it untill u correct the prob or ur bulbs will short out or wore the relay or the wire haness could heat up and melt.

just try to take ur interior foot lighting out wires, switches, relay, watever just everything so the car(as far as the interior lighting) is stock then try the fuse again.if this doesnt work somthing went horribly wrong.

try to use a electric current tester if u have acces to one and see if power is even being pasted to the headlights or if somthing is grounding.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1stk20z3 said:
somthing is grounding out or ur fuses are to weak. id sudgest u stop putting fuses it untill u correct the prob or ur bulbs will short out or wore the relay or the wire haness could heat up and melt.

just try to take ur interior foot lighting out wires, switches, relay, watever just everything so the car(as far as the interior lighting) is stock then try the fuse again.if this doesnt work somthing went horribly wrong.

try to use a electric current tester if u have acces to one and see if power is even being pasted to the headlights or if somthing is grounding.
no, its the footwell lights that are causing the fuses to blow. if i discconect the lights and put a fresh fuse in, then the headlights work (cept not anymore cause im pretty sure they both blew...)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
black07coupe said:
no, its the footwell lights that are causing the fuses to blow. if i discconect the lights and put a fresh fuse in, then the headlights work (cept not anymore cause im pretty sure they both blew...)
does the fuse blow wen u try to turn on ur headlights?(wen ur foot lights are complety disconnected)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImTheVoiceOfGod said:
Check under the hood fuses.

That one right there.
what? the fuse that blew is in the drivers footwell. its #16 and after it blew i tried using the spare ones that are under the hood? what do you want me to do with the fuse you just pointed out?

I

·
0 Posts
Go check it :pat: It also controls all lighting, inside and outside.

I

·
0 Posts
One more thing, You should really just rewire the whole thing. The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Best best would be to wire it from the lighter in the center consule. Steady 9V.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya im gonna rewire it. i think i know a possible reason why they blow. the point at which two wires were soldered together is not covered, the solder point may have move and is now touching a ground point in the center console.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
black07coupe said:
ya im gonna rewire it. i think i know a possible reason why they blow. the point at which two wires were soldered together is not covered, the solder point may have move and is now touching a ground point in the center console.
Unless you want your car to go to the dealer with hours upon hours of electrical diagnostic issues at your cost or worse end up in a ball of flames, DON'T do that! Cover up all electrical connections!

I'd rewire your cathodes, you have them wired incorrectly. Either a connection is shorted out, or if you installed them and they never worked from the start then you've either miswired and positive and negative, or you picked the wrong wire to tap into for power.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK i figured it out. That solder point must of grounded somehow. I opened up my center console and wrapped that point in electrial tape, tucked everything back in, and got new fuses. Also the h/l main fuse was blown and I didnt realize it. I hooked everything up and its all working again. I'm pretty sure the problem was that the solder point grounded, because I do remember the all the lights went out when I hit a bump.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts