8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17 and this is the first time I drove on the road in the snow. Wow the roads are terrible it's not even a 1/2 inch...i was slpinning tires in 5th at only 35mph. The vsa came on. I never liked it before but now i'm glad i have it. For all of you who don't like it, well it really comes in handy! Happy Holidays:thumb:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I want snow!!!! Front wheels drift FTW

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
dude you'll get the hang of it after a winter. I don't mind driving in the snow the civic's great so long as you mind the speed and remember it IS snowy.

The greatest danger on the road's other drivers. You know, the ones in the Escalades and Yukons who yakk on the phone, drive on two lanes, and suddenly swerve/turn/godknowswhat with no signals.... yeah...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah I hear ya you will get used to it...Try having a old BMW for a first car, rear-wheel drive plus no weight equals hell. You downshift to fast and your spinning, you go up hills side-ways it sucked but a lot of fun when you desired it. Donuts like mofo! But seriously don't slam on your brakes, don't downshift to fast and most important drive slow and steady. Once you get that down its time for some fun...

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
welcome to winter driving.. vsa is good but winter tires are better - if your in an area that gets snow every winter you'll want to buy them ;)

think about it as the joys of car ownership

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in PA where it snows every winter. I was thinking of using the mcdonalds trays as stated above for super traction haha....yea i think winter tires are a good idea so i don't end up tokyo drifting all over the road : )

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Where are you in PA? I'm in south central, and although we got only a little bit of snow, I had to run out into the parking lot and have some fun before it got messed up.

I turned off VSA, spun the wheels in first, slammed the brakes, and nothing happened. It took about a second and a half before ABS finally kicked in and the car started slowing down. Kind of a weird feeling.

Thankfully I did this in an empty section of the parking lot, and when the brakes didn't stop me I just slid up onto a sidewalk without a curb.

·
Registered
929 Posts
ABS doesn't really shorten your stopping distance on slippery surfaces all that much, but what it does do is pulse the brakes instead of locking the wheels which will allow you steer (and avoid any obstacles) while braking...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Where'd all the milk and bread go?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.