8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I added my Fujita F5 intake and rerouted the included silicone hoses for the coolant (into throttle body), the scent of coolant is strong under the hood. I double checked all connections and there isn't a sign whatsoever of any sweat or leak.

What do 'you' think this could be? Could it be a real engine problem, ie. head gasket or something ?

Darryl

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Unlikely... logically, if you were fiddling around with the coolant, there is either a leak somewhere, or you're smelling spilt stuff. Check your coolant level in the reservoir, drive around for a bit, and see if it's still the same level.. if it is, you're probably not leaking anything and you'll be fine.

The odds of a head gasket going at the very same time you were fiddling around with an intake are slim, unless you're running an older dodge motor or some crap.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Coolant leaks often only show up when the engine is hot and the cooling system is under pressure. If it leaks on a hot surface it can evaporate quickly and be very hard to detect.

A pressure tester is very helpful in this situation. It allows you to put pressure on the system when the system is cool and the engine isn't running. If the pressure drops then you have a leak. It should also be easier to see the leak with a cool, non running engine.

If you suspect a coolant leak you should always check the radiator level as well as checking the reservoir. When the engine is cool remove the radiator cap and make sure it is full.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
dentrecords said:
Unlikely... logically, if you were fiddling around with the coolant, there is either a leak somewhere, or you're smelling spilt stuff. Check your coolant level in the reservoir, drive around for a bit, and see if it's still the same level.. if it is, you're probably not leaking anything and you'll be fine.

The odds of a head gasket going at the very same time you were fiddling around with an intake are slim, unless you're running an older dodge motor or some crap.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this has been 1 1/2 months after I changed my intake and it only smells of this coolant after it has been warmed up.

Reservoir seems fine and levels are ok. What would oil look like if it was a leak?

·
Registered
41 Posts
the same thing happened to me... i put an intake in and replaced the hose from the coolant... it smelled for a whilel but i think the smell is almost completely gone now... car seems to be fine. hope this helps

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
never had any kind of problems w/ smell after fujita install.. its been on 5 months now

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
sometimes those pinch clamps leak after you put on a new hose. look up towards you throttle body from under the car and see if you can see a blue/green trail from coolant.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Some auto parts stores like Advance and Autozone will rent you a coolant system pressure tester. This is the best way to check for a stubborn leak.

If you pressurize the system and leave it for 5-10 minutes the pressure shouldn't have dropped much, maybe a pound or two. While you are waiting you can look for a leak. Just don't put too much pressure in the system. There is sometimes a pressure rating on the cap. If not 7-10 pounds is pretty safe and probably sufficient to check for a leak.

If your coolant level in your radiator and reservoir isn't changing it probably isn't much of a leak.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts