8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i just bought a set of four rotors slotted and drilled. I mixed up the boxes where it said where each rotor went. I am not sure if they should go this way like the picture below

i am talking about the rotation of the of the rotor. Or is it this way

or does it matter? I installed them like the first pic, but now they are squealing when i hit the brakes and it came with new pads so i don't know if i has anything to do with that or something else.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
99% of all brake squeaking is caused by people not washing the oils off the rotor before installing. If you do not remove the oils the pad becomes contaminated and they glaze over. I've been a tech for 18 years and this is the main issue. Also when you first install new pads you should always seat the pads by doing a few panic stops to heat the pads up and transfer the pad material to the rotors. get them nice and hot but make sure you let the rotor cool down gradually or they will warp. Do not get them hot an drive through a puddle or cool them with water or something. Drive around normally for 10 minutes after getting them hot to cool them down.

Your rotation looks correct on the rotor. Usually the slots should curve towards the rear like you have it but some go the opposite way. It depends on the manufacturer. However they designed them. You want them to curve towards the rear so the rotation will spin the gasses and dust outwards to expel all the materials off the rotor. If the slots are facing forward the gasses will not be able to escape as easily. At least that's how I look at it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
99% of all brake squeaking is caused by people not washing the oils off the rotor before installing. If you do not remove the oils the pad becomes contaminated and they glaze over. I've been a tech for 18 years and this is the main issue. Also when you first install new pads you should always seat the pads by doing a few panic stops to heat the pads up and transfer the pad material to the rotors. get them nice and hot but make sure you let the rotor cool down gradually or they will warp. Do not get them hot an drive through a puddle or cool them with water or something. Drive around normally for 10 minutes after getting them hot to cool them down.

Your rotation looks correct on the rotor. Usually the slots should curve towards the rear like you have it but some go the opposite way. It depends on the manufacturer. However they designed them. You want them to curve towards the rear so the rotation will spin the gasses and dust outwards to expel all the materials off the rotor. If the slots are facing forward the gasses will not be able to escape as easily. At least that's how I look at it.

thanks for the info. Is it too late to clean the oil off the rotor? i did do some panic braking after installed and it wasn't making the squeaking til after a couple of hours of driving. The pictures above are not my pics, they are pics i found online so i assume you are talking about the second pic, i actually installed them like the first pic. Will the squeaking eventually stop? and how can i clean the oil off?

thanks again!

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
thanks for the info. Is it too late to clean the oil off the rotor? i did do some panic braking after installed and it wasn't making the squeaking til after a couple of hours of driving. The pictures above are not my pics, they are pics i found online so i assume you are talking about the second pic, i actually installed them like the first pic. Will the squeaking eventually stop? and how can i clean the oil off?

thanks again!
Ya the oils won't start causing issues for a little bit. Sometimes it will happen in a few hours or a few weeks. Depending on your driving habits. Unfortunately you only have 1 shot at cleaning the oil off the rotors. If the oil gets on the pads your pretty much screwed. I would say you could sand a small layer off your pads but if you don't get them absolutely perfectly flat you will just create more squealing. The petroleum gets into the pads and ruins them. I've tried everything on customers cars that have this problem and nothing really works besides new pads. And you use a degreaser and warm water to clean off the oils. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER!! That is petroleum based and will cause even more of an issue.

And I was talking about the second pic as the correct orientation of install. That's how I'm going to install my slotted rotors once I get them. Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
wow, well i will probably buy new pads cuz the ones that came seem kind of cheap anyway and were free haha and can i use the hand cleaning degreaser? thanks for the help bro!!!
Don't use anything that has a petroleum base. Use a general purpose cleaner or simple green or something like that. I use purple power. You can get it at auto zone. It's a purple general purpose cleaner. Anything with a petroleum base will cause this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The direction of the slots really do not matter. What is important is the direction of the internal vanes (if it is a vented rotor). If you look at the edge of the rotor, you will see vanes that run from the edge to the center of the rotor.
If the vanes are straight, then unless specified by the manufacturer, it won't matter what direction the slots go.
If you the vanes are curved, you want the rotor mounted so that when you look at the top of the rotor edge, the vanes will point to the back of the car - it's a little confusing. This picture helps.

In the cut-away picture of the curved vane rotor, you would want it spinning counter-clockwis; so the to the left of the picture would be the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
i thought all rotors such as yours, are to go in the motion of the slots. The hot air in the grooves will want to shoot OUTWARDS away from the rotor. The first pic set up.. the hot air shoots inwards towards the rotors, which I would think would cause something down the road. Thats how 95% of them are technically set up. Thats how I set mine up, and I have no problem with them at all. I would say just jack it back up and switch them. Should only take an hour if that with proper tools.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
The direction of the slots really do not matter. What is important is the direction of the internal vanes (if it is a vented rotor). If you look at the edge of the rotor, you will see vanes that run from the edge to the center of the rotor.
If the vanes are straight, then unless specified by the manufacturer, it won't matter what direction the slots go.
If you the vanes are curved, you want the rotor mounted so that when you look at the top of the rotor edge, the vanes will point to the back of the car - it's a little confusing. This picture helps.

In the cut-away picture of the curved vane rotor, you would want it spinning counter-clockwis; so the to the left of the picture would be the front of the car.
Pretty much what I was saying about the slots. I doubt that a company would machine their slots opposite of their vanes. But you are correct. I didn't even think about the internal vanes. What a rookie mistake. Good catch bro. Sorry guys. lol..

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
No. Some pads that are high performance squeal. but normal street pads should NOT squeal. but if you did not remove the oils from the rotors or you cleaned them with brake parts cleaner than yes, you all installed wrong. The company that makes the pads will tell you that the pads you are buying will have heavy dust and can squeal when not at full operating temperature. Race pads squeal because they have to be at high temps to operate properly. When you are using a race compound on the streets they stay way colder than what they are made to. I bet that if you cleaned off all the oils from machining the rotors you would have less squeal on a street pad, not race compound or a street/race compound. A high performance street compound that is not supposed to squeal and does means you installed wrong. But don't take my word for it. Try it out. I've been installing and servicing brake systems since 1989. I think I know a thing or 2 about brake squealing.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
as a matter of fact i just got some hp + brake pads and they squeal like a mofo. but its only at low speeds. seem right?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i switched out the direction of the rotors so now they are like picture two. I also sanded down the pads a bit, not too much, and cleaned the rotors as well. It seemed to work cuz now i have not squeaking what so ever. High or low speeds its quiet like i had imagine it would be from the start. Thanks for the help guys!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.