8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experiencing a slight rattle ever since they installed their stiffy? I put mine in about a week ago and this past monday i was driving "spirited" home from work late one night and at a red light i heared a faint metal rattle while my car was ideling. thought it was something in my glove box that shifted so i moved everything around in there a lil real quick and continued driving. Next light same noise and when i rev'ed the engine it got a bit louder but there was a noticable click when obviously the stiffy was stressed from the engine movment. So next day i pop the hood and torque down the bolts, check the stiffy length and basically just looked at it for a while. That night same thing again... it's driving me nuts... does anyone out there have any idea of why it is doing this or are you experienceing the noise as well?????? PLEASE HELP BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!!!:SHOCKED: :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I-NTEC said:
is it coming from the engine bay
yeah thats the only thing i know for sure

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MutantCheese said:
Sub-Scribe-Ed. I'll be installing mine tomorrow, so I'll let you know.
great thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump...

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
I get a sound like un-lubed ball bearings as the rpm's increase....I think some dynamat under the braces will cure that problem

·
Registered
329 Posts
Please check the stiffy's adjustment (has to be between 10 and 15mm), and MAKE SURE the adjustment locking nut is torqued down to spec!! Hell, make sure ALL of the nuts are torqued down to SPEC.

I installed the stiffy without checking the locking nut, and got the rattle, slapped myself on the head, got out, tightened it, and the rattle went away. The stiffy does not come pre-set and tightened from what I've seen. Or at least mine and some others didn't.

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
MonkeyConQueso said:
Please check the stiffy's adjustment (has to be between 10 and 15mm), and MAKE SURE the adjustment locking nut is torqued down to spec!! Hell, make sure ALL of the nuts are torqued down to SPEC.

I installed the stiffy without checking the locking nut, and got the rattle, slapped myself on the head, got out, tightened it, and the rattle went away. The stiffy does not come pre-set and tightened from what I've seen. Or at least mine and some others didn't.
Mine came pre-set at 10mm but wasn't tight. I believe mine is just vibration carried over to the chassis

·
Registered
329 Posts
jpjr0322 said:
So next day i pop the hood and torque down the bolts, check the stiffy length and basically just looked at it for a while.
Doh! :pat:

Reading owns me, apparently.

Well, the only thing I can suggest is to still check every bolt for proper torque specs, and also see if anything is touching it that would cause the noise. If you could also take pics of the installation from top down, left side, and right side, that might help us help you out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MonkeyConQueso said:
Doh! :pat:

Reading owns me, apparently.

Well, the only thing I can suggest is to still check every bolt for proper torque specs, and also see if anything is touching it that would cause the noise. If you could also take pics of the installation from top down, left side, and right side, that might help us help you out.
no you were rigth it was the locking nut. i thought it was all the way down and i just gave up and was going to deal with the slight rattle. then a few days ago i was installing my HID's and i figured i'd give it another look. using my hand i just started torquing the piston up and down to see if i could narrow down where the rattle was and then low and behold the locking nut was not completely torqued down. that did it rattle gone even under hard excceleration.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad you got it figured out man! Hopefully others who didn't notice the locking nut not being tight see this too. It's easy to overlook when you think it comes pre-set.

:thumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah man, best advice get it on there and then troque it down until you can't with tools not your hand.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Since we are talking about stiffy problems here, has any one noticed it rubbing against the black AC hose? i've only had the stiffy on for two days and its taking some rubber off. it's the actual dampener thats rubbing up against the hose.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
06blaksi said:
Did you use the spacer on the A/C hose mount?
yeah i did. but it wasn't spaced out enough. its just slightly touching, like i can space it out some more with a washer or two, but i dunno if thats a smart idea, maybe the tape to protect it, or the wrap.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ZOE said:
yeah i did. but it wasn't spaced out enough. its just slightly touching, like i can space it out some more with a washer or two, but i dunno if thats a smart idea, maybe the tape to protect it, or the wrap.
i haven't noticed any hose damage but my spacer works fine i would try a washer or two

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
does any one have a pic of their clearance between the dampener and the hose? and if i could get a pic of whats holding it up so high, that would be real helpful

Thanks a lot guys!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts