8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks to all who've helped me and have welcomed me to the forums. I really appreciate it, and I feel like I can get a lot answered here. So thanks!

But enough brown-nosing. I've done a search of the forums, and I can't really find any threads that match my problem, so here it is.

Sometimes after shifting to 2nd or 3rd, I hear a slight metallic grinding under the hood. I'm not really sure what it could be, and I don't feel (not to my untrained body at least) any sort of physical change to the car like drag. Quite frankly, it worries me. It comes and goes randomly at times, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the way I shift.

I read in another thread, and while someone else had similar problems, but not quite, could it be that the gearbox is just "cold"? Once it warms up, will this grinding noise go away? It's not very loud at all, and you sort of have to listen for it. Also, the way I shift is usually pretty smooth (relatively speaking), but I could be wrong.

I don't think I gave enough information, but does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
hold that thought for another 40000mi and get back to me... catastrophe is just arround the corner... well in 40000mi....

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
You should take it to the dealer and see if they can duplicate it (probably not!).

Also, if you haven't had your tranny flushed (this is different than a change...) perhaps you should look into that. Whomever does it may be able to find metal shavings in there and have a better idea of what could be happening in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
grinding noise

Hey,

I've got a 9 yr old Civic, automatic, though, and I'm having a similar grinding noise from under the hood. I'd almost describe the sound as a cross between an elephant trumpeting and a grinding. Because it happens only intermittently, of course my mechanic never hears it. I'm just hoping to get one more winter out of the car before I have to buy another. Have you figured out yet what it might be or had any responses? I checked my transmission fluid level and that's fine. I've gotten so used to it that I've started ignoring it, but I do wonder what the heck it is!!

Just wanted to say thanks to all who've helped me and have welcomed me to the forums. I really appreciate it, and I feel like I can get a lot answered here. So thanks!

But enough brown-nosing. I've done a search of the forums, and I can't really find any threads that match my problem, so here it is.

Sometimes after shifting to 2nd or 3rd, I hear a slight metallic grinding under the hood. I'm not really sure what it could be, and I don't feel (not to my untrained body at least) any sort of physical change to the car like drag. Quite frankly, it worries me. It comes and goes randomly at times, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the way I shift.

I read in another thread, and while someone else had similar problems, but not quite, could it be that the gearbox is just "cold"? Once it warms up, will this grinding noise go away? It's not very loud at all, and you sort of have to listen for it. Also, the way I shift is usually pretty smooth (relatively speaking), but I could be wrong.

I don't think I gave enough information, but does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?[/QUOTE]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.