8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SO, i was getting sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo damn tired of hearing what sounded like someone popping their knuckles every time i moved the steering wheel to either side.
I pulled the ride into the shop and began the suspension tear down knowing that i was going to find this damn noise once and for all!

- i got the strut assembly off and took off the topm spring/stut mount with the 1 17mm nut on it and what did i find?!?!

-the little bearings/bb's that sit sandwiched between the two rings were all sorts of f*cked up. there were 7 missing and on one side there were 4 in a row gone with a massive crimp/pinch in the bearing casing plastic.

-no wonder my suspension sounded like ass, the top of the strut was all screwed up.

-According to honda the "Bump stop" was the cause for the popping sound, but the bump stop wasn't binding one single bit and was in great shape.

This is just a heads up to those of you with the SKUNK2 SPRINGS ON YOUR STOCK SI STRUTS.

-honda will most likely reject any form of warranty because of the S'2, but thats cool, i'll just have to buy that upper mount assembly and redo it and hope for the best because i damn sure am not going to take money i have saved for the stg2 kit and buy a full coilover/strut setup for a grand.

EDIT: i believe this was caused from hitting the massive pothole, not skunk2's product. i just wanted to state that it was lowered in case it was similar to any of your lowered car problems.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and these were installed perfectly using the oem rubber spring sleeves and they were properly tightened down. so no talk about faulty install please, i know how to work.;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^because the bearing casing was pinched/ crimped and the bearings were pushed out??? i had these on for like 9 months and it just started making the noises like a month ago.

if i messed them up, i would have noticed it that day. but nice try.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
^because the bearing casing was pinched/ crimped and the bearings were pushed out??? i had these on for like 9 months and it just started making the noises like a month ago.

if i messed them up, i would have noticed it that day. but nice try.
Sorry,but thats impossible. The only way the bearings will be missing is if the installer accidently pops the upper mount of from the spring(14&13),when this happens you have little bearings flying out everywhere. Thats why you have to be VERY carefull when you remove the upper mount off.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bro, they didnt just fall out. when i get the new one in, i'll take pics of the broken platic bearing separator that is fubard with its missing bearings and the ones that were mashed together creating the binding spot when i turned the wheel. give up on the devil's advocate thing so people can see this for WIW incase they are experiencing the same thing and it's NOT the claimed "bump stop".

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
It is the bump stop. I agree with udumkid on it being the installers fault. I've done numerous springs installs on the fg. The only time I drop some bb's was when I did mine. Only 3 fell out and I found them. There's no way that lowering the car can cause this. You probably loss quiet few bb's and the mileage put on the housing caused the damage.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only thing i can think of is: i hit a MASSIVE and i mean super massive pothole(that turned out to be a sinkhole) in a taco bell parking lot about a month or so ago. and i had bought a new rim from honda because of it. maybe thats what caused the breakage?

-believe me, if there was no bb in the little hole, why would the little hole get all gouged and mangled if nothing was in there????? i didnt lose any on the install and it wouldnt take 9 months to surface with 7bbs missing.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this was only on the one that i hit the CRATER with too, the pass side was just fine and when i did the S2 install, i had all the struts apart and sitting upright in the same area of the shop on the table. the more i think of it, the more i believe it was that rat bastard taco bell hole that pwnt me....

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
You said that you got annoyed from the popping sound and finally decided to do something. It must of taken time to get damaged.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what i'm sayin^.

if it was right away, you would have read this thread months and months ago. i just started noticing it after that TB sh*t happened(which set me back 225$for the rim not including the damn tire too)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyway, if others are having similar issues and you car is NOT included in the TSB, check your upper mount for some vandalized little bb casings:xyxnervou

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.