8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed SKUNK2 lowering springs, had them for about a week now, I’ve done one auto X session and some spited driving up and down the twisty roads of the Franklin Mountains. Here are my comments. For reference, my currents mods are Skunk2 70MM Mega Power R, DCRH, and Injen SRI. First off, I was kinda scared about rubbing; I have 225/40/18s with HFP wheels, however, I have felt no rub at all since I’ve had them. I have not made any alignment changes yet, but I don’t think I will any time soon, the car feels just fine.
The car does no longer exhibits the bobbing, weaving, pitching and rolling like with stock suspension, the car feels much more composed and planted without being bouncy. I’ve noticed that the increased negative chamber of the rear wheels causes the rear end to slide around much more than before under hard cornering. It was kinda scary at first but I got used to it.
Only complaints are that it feels like my braking doesn’t seem to be as strong as before, that might have to do with alignment issues, or it could be they just don’t “feel” as strong because the car doesn’t dive under hard braking like it used to. Also the rear end slide isn’t a progressive and it should be, its not a nice even slide, it’s more like a scoot than anything.
My next mod suspension mod will be Skunk2 shocks and rear camber kit. In the future I will 0 out the rear camber for DD and give a little negative camber for track and auto X use.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks, its just for reference for people might be thinking of getting them. And of course for people to comments on their experiences.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
~2" drop on these, correct?

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Surely looks to be more than that though :confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have these springs as well and in my case its closer to 2in it went a bit lower than i was expecting but I think it looks perfect (to me). I love em so far no rubbing the only thing is now i get an ear full from Sarah when i try to find out how fast i can take certain curves lol its worth it tho.

Just my 0.02

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
skunk2 to states 1.5F and 1.4 rear I think, seems to be about right.
I've been dropped on the Skunk 2 springs for a long time now, and I've never believed that statistic from S2. It's actually about 2"

Also, I'd suggest doing a little research about the S2 sport shocks. They're not the best way to spend money.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm putting on my Skunk2 springs in a few weeks. I'm really excited. I think in the future, I'm going to get HFP shocks and run them with the Skunk2 springs. I heard that's a pretty good combo.

In response the the OP, I would suggest getting an alignment ASAP. The alignment will not "change" any of your settings such as camber or ride height. If you have a camber kit you can actually tell them what to set it at. You may not feel it, but when you remove your struts and put them back on, There will be slight negative effects without an alignment. Toe will be out, as well as other significant specs that will effect your tires, suspesion, bearings, etc for the worst. I would suggest an alignment as soon as you get time or save up a couple bucks. It's well worth it.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
You may not feel the geometry being out of spec but I can assure you it is. You will probably notice a difference after an alignment and you will prolong the life of your parts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah I can't really feel it but I've heard may others say the same, plus I have a long drive to Oklahoma comming up soon, I'll get that done before I leave.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
i have skunk2 springs and HFP struts. love the combo. handles very well. only thing is i have that front suspension click which i dont blame on the skunk2 but i still have it. and i got an alignment and it fixed a lot of my problems but not all. place set my camber kind of to fit factory specs. way too much in the rear. going to get that adjusted asap.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
i have skunk2 springs and HFP struts. love the combo. handles very well. only thing is i have that front suspension click which i dont blame on the skunk2 but i still have it. and i got an alignment and it fixed a lot of my problems but not all. place set my camber kind of to fit factory specs. way too much in the rear. going to get that adjusted asap.
Yeah a rear camber kit will solve your problem and get it back to factory specs. That's what I had to do. You have front camber bolts?

·
Registered
815 Posts
what skunk 2 springs did you buy? mine feel alil bouncy, and why wouldnt you just go with coilovers??
I believe Skunk2 only makes one set of lowering springs for our cars. And I'm guessing he did springs to save money. Honestly, if your not building your car to race and its simply a daily, you don't need coils. Also, if your goal is just to lower your car, you can save $900+ by using just springs.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yeah a rear camber kit will solve your problem and get it back to factory specs. That's what I had to do. You have front camber bolts?
thats my problem. they set my camber way too much in the rear to get it to factory specs. i told them i wanted a custom camber setup and they said sure. when i was waiting for them to ask me what camber i wanted they told me my alignment was done. i was a little ticked. they set it to match factory specs but lowered <<< factory specs blow!!! main reason we get understeer out of our cars. stock is 0 in the front and -1 in the rear. they set mine -1 in the front and -1.7 in the rear. i have ingalls rear camber adjusters and ingalls camber bolts for the front. what i want is -1.5 in the front and -1.0 in the rear.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I thought more negative camber in the rear then the front = less understeer?

EDIT: Just checked, your right, I'm wrong. :facepalm: More camber in the front than rear = less understeer.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
idk i was just thinking the same thing. -1.0 all around. prob less understeer but would handle as good as it could.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts