8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the skunk2 RH last night and ran into a problem...The primary o2 sensor was not long enough to get into the spot where it is supposed to be. I used the o2 extension (or defouler) in the primary spot and just pluged the secondary in. I didn't throw a CEL but just wanted to make sure that this is okay or if anyone had a tip on how to get it the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks!

--Derek

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
if i understand correctly what you did, thats not goign to work.

you NEED the primary o2 sensor to be plugged in and isntalled. the secondary one can be removed if you have flashpro.

the secondary and primary sensors are not interchangable.
the primary sensro shoudl not get a defouler on it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any ideas on what I need to do? Both o2 sensors are in the correct spot. Its just the primary had to get the doufouler instead of the secondary...Should I just get an o2 extender?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Your primary sensor should go into the bung furthest from the engine. You'll need to extend your primary O2 sensor wires...and there's no extension out right now. You'll have to extend them yourself. Also, do not use a defouler here. The primary sensor should be directly in the exhaust flow.

The secondary sensor should plug into the bung closest to the motor. And you'll attach the defouler there also.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Your primary sensor should go into the bung furthest from the engine. You'll need to extend your primary O2 sensor wires. Do not use a defouler here. The primary sensor should be directly in the exhaust flow.

The secondary sensor should plug into the bung closest to the motor. And you'll attach the defouler there also.
why?
primary = first
secondary = second

no?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
On headers such as the skunk2, SSR, GoPWR, and Hytech, the primary runners merge differently than those of other headers like the Vibrant, BC, and DCRH.

The front bung on the S2 is placed where cylinders 1 and 2 meet. So if you place the primary (most important) sensor here, you'll only be reading the flow of cylinders 1 and 2.

The back (second) bung is located at the collector. This is where all four cylinder exhaust flows meet. The primary sensor needs to be here to read AFR accurately.

So the secondary sensor just plugs in the front bung.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I used sprinkler wire. It's a 4 wire (6 gauge).

Some people splice and solder the extension. I just used weatherproof (heatshrink) butt connectors and crimped the extension wire. Then I heatshrinked over the connector to ensure a waterproof seal.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
On headers such as the skunk2, SSR, GoPWR, and Hytech, the primary runners merge differently than those of other headers like the Vibrant, BC, and DCRH.

The front bung on the S2 is placed where cylinders 1 and 2 meet. So if you place the primary (most important) sensor here, you'll only be reading the flow of cylinders 1 and 2.

The back (second) bung is located at the collector. This is where all four cylinder exhaust flows meet. The primary sensor needs to be here to read AFR accurately.

So the secondary sensor just plugs in the front bung.
Actually this is done for a couple of reasons.

You can place an aftermarket wideband in the furthest spot at the collector, and you can stick your primary in the one further up the exhaust stream.

OR, you can plug the one furthest up and stick your primary in the furthest one that is at the collector.

As for your secondary, just wrap it up or completely take it out, you won't need it.

Oh, and NEVER PUT A DEFOULER ON YOUR PRIMARY O2 SENSOR. It needs direct exhaust stream access to read accurately.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used sprinkler wire. It's a 4 wire (6 gauge).

Some people splice and solder the extension. I just used weatherproof (heatshrink) butt connectors and crimped the extension wire. Then I heatshrinked over the connector to ensure a waterproof seal.
Re-wired is so everything is how it should be!
Thanks for all the help 'tehcodeman'!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.