8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having the worst time deciding which to go with. Im still in highschool and am using the car as a DD. i like to keep it clean. and jdm styled. yellow fogs, stock si wheels, front lip, and such. anyways as far as which springs to get i dont have a clue out of those 2..the skunk2 ones lower your car ~2 inch which is alot for our si's the s tech's arent as bad but they are expensive as hell and ive heard of people encountering problems with them...ive heard nuthing but good things about the skunk2's besides the fact that theyre super low..even lower than sportlines some have said...as far as brand goes. i love skunk2 and am very loyal to that brand because of their quality and products havent let me down yet. theyre a great company overall. i really would like to get the skunk2's but they seem maybe to low? s tech has a nice height choice, and u cant go wrong with tein except being in highschool doesnt allow me the biggest budget even though i do work...

ill be running oem dampers and camber kits. prly skunk2 rear camber either way..and spc front
yes i know oem dampers arent the best for lowering but dont flame this. im not as dumb as my age may say. i have other future suspension upgrades in mind. koni/tokico

i just want my wheel well snug around that stock wheel/tire. and any other 17 wheel that mite be in my future..

opinions on both welcome!

so my basic question is, is skunk2 to low and is tein worth the money?

**please post pix of either setup (coupes please)

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Skunk2 is too low. Heck Eibach sportlines are too low. You're drastically reducing the suspension travel, and OEM dampers are simply not designed to handle such extreme changes to travel. With the dampers riding on the bumpstops, you're going to have worse performance than OEM springs. Even with Tokico/Koni dampers, I wouldn't go with Skunk2.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what you said is very true and thanks for pointing that out..thats why i felt the s tech's are maybe more beneficial in the long run even though no lowering springs really are on stock dampers..just better for a DD on 'ok' condition roads..untill some sort of decent aftermarket shock is availiable..

but man do i love the skunk2 brand..

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Ive had zero problems with my sportlines as far as the shocks are concerned,random noises,the car handles alot better so its not reducing anything as far as i can feel the skunk2 springs sit slightly lower. I can hardly get a finger front and back with my sportlines with the skunk2 springs it will sit right above the tire resulting in a zero finger gap lol go with your gut on this 1.

PS - The S techs give a raked look and many have complained about noises coming from them !

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
When lightly pushing the car, Sportlines will feel more composed. But at the very limits where weight transfer is more extreme your car will be riding on the bumpstops a lot more. Mild ~1" drops are best from a performance perspective.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
If you want a good drop from just spring and performance go with the eibach pro-kit or progress springs. But although both springs are for performance the pro-kit will give you a more comfort because how it's a progressive spring where as the progress is a linear type.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imo that raked look is nice on the coupes..just not the sedans..thats a reason i didnt mention the sportlines..

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
I'm pretty sure he said Pro-kit, noy sportlines. I just installed the Pro-kit a couple weeks ago and I love them. Perfect drop, not too much but enough to notice, and WAY better ride than expected. Check oou my thread. I have a pic of my car with the springs on it. I don't know how to put links in yet so this is the thread. Installed my Eibach Pro kit today.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I've been very happy with my Skunk 2's. No noises, creaking, or bottoming out at all. I know they're not the best on the stock shocks, and I will be changing the shocks when a better aftermarket option is out. Sorry these aren't the best pics. I'm parked by a curb, with a car on the other side. But you do get the idea of the drop on Skunk's on a coupe.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
something i dont understand is how witht he 2 inch drop your front wheels dont touch your fender when theyre turned and u go over a bump accidently..like u have to angle it ik but..isnt the chance super good in tire meets fender problems?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts