8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I installed a Skunk2 CAI. Everything went well took a little bit over 4 hours to install. So I have no engine lights no leaks or so my engine doesn’t detect any. My engine revs fine launches fine and starts up fine. I like the boost it provides my car runs a little quicker now. This CAI is the first mod other than a magna flow exhaust tip. Here is where the issue starts when I start up the engine the car starts up at 2000 or close to 2000 RPMs which it has always done that, and as the car heats up the revs slows down little by little. Before the CAI it would do it smooth but now it does it differently. It goes down a little bit and stops it’s sorta like choppy? And as I get to normal idle rev which is between 700-900 it slowly on its own goes down to 500rpms and jumps backup on its own. It doesn’t do it fast though just very slow. Also when I turn on the AC it goes fast to 500rpms and then jumps back up. But it only does this for a little while after a little bit the engine stops doing it and stays at 700-800rpms. Once I turn the AC on the sensor compensates better I guess? Also before the CAI the smell from exhaust coming out the back had a smell of chemicals im not sure how to explain it, but now.. It doesn’t smell like anything? Also I will add that the car vibrates a little more now than before when it’s going down rpms to idle rpms. Any advice here please? If I can’t find a solution I’ll convert back to the stock, but I like the sound it makes now and how the engine benefits from this CAI. Also I am using the stock air sensor. But I did notice that it doesn’t sit flush on the CAI, so maybe that could be the problem? I may try to use some silicone to seal it better. But I’m thinking the oxygen sensor is having difficulty adjusting to the new air flow. It’s a 3.5” to 3.0” pipe. Again thank you for reading!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you can flush that up it may fix your issue. If that does not resolve the issue, find a reputable shop and have them give it the once over, the computer should not have an issue since thats a bolt on performance mod, but I did the same thing to an 01 ranger when i was younger and at 55 mph it popped the CEL, dont remember the exact code it gave but I just put the stock intake back on and no more issues. Its up to you what you do tho, its your car, time, and money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can flush that up it may fix your issue. If that does not resolve the issue, find a reputable shop and have them give it the once over, the computer should not have an issue since thats a bolt on performance mod, but I did the same thing to an 01 ranger when i was younger and at 55 mph it popped the CEL, dont remember the exact code it gave but I just put the stock intake back on and no more issues. Its up to you what you do tho, its your car, time, and money.
Thing is I cleaned the MAF sensor. And it’s gotten way better now every once in a while the RPMs drop to 500 and then jump up to 1000 again till it stays at 700

1 - 5 of 5 Posts