8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrite for the past week theres been a rattle i cant find where its coming from this time..now those of u that have the 70mm knows how loud it is..the rattle doesnt occur all the time only between 2.5 and 4k rpms..this is where the exhaust system vibrates the car the most in acceleration..i only hear the rattle during this point and sense i cant pin point it inside around the consol area im guessing its outside and might have something to do with the catback..i havnt gotten under to take a look at it yet but i will after work 2mrw..its kinda faint so im guessing its prly loud outside and i just cant hear it inside as bad but its still hella loud enough to hear over the exhaust system so it has to me somewhat loud..anyone have any ideas of what it could be hitting? BTW ive had the exhaust on for about..~3-4 months but i never got back under it to tighten anything up like i was supposed to..oh yea and the hangers have been cut so its not a muffler hanger issue..could it have to due with something somewhere around the header/cat. and catback connecters since it sounds like its coming from the middle of the car around the consol area? like the header springs (if any on stock header i forget..)? hanger issues other than the muffler hangers (which i had cut before the install)?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have rattles from various places with my apexi n-1/dcrh...I just deal with it. Its too hard to find out exactly where it comes from... some times I heard rattles in the frotn near the dash...some times from the rear near the rear deck.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I've got the Skunk 60 mm on my FG2, and have the same issue. It really only rattles when I start the car, or sometimes when I'm stopped at a light. My hangers are cut down, and it sounds like it's happening around the cat area. It's pretty annoying, but doesnt happen all the time.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I get some vibrations from my comptech exhaust. It sometimes rubs against the underbody where the first bend is in the midpipe.

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
I had tons of rattles with my Skunk2. I changed to the Evo2 and they went away :confused: I think its mostly due to the deepness in the sound

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
i dont have a skunk2 70mm, but i have noticed my vibrant exhaust is the loudest between 2.5-4k, so if yout exhaust is anything like mine, it just happens to be the loudest part of the powerband (except vtec of course). it gets very drony, especially when engine braking.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Make sure nothing is in your cupholder. If u have any change or metal objects, it sounds like a rattle. That's what happened to me with Skunk2 70mm exhaust. The drone will rattle the cupholder area and cause it to rattle.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the suggestions ive checked inside for stuff that could be moving/rattling everywhere and found no possible thing..even when i was driving it and it was rattling it i was moving **** around like crazy everywhere and it didnt go away..im positive its around the cat/headers/catback connecters because when i get under the car and if i wiggle the piping a little something around that area squeaks..but true all the vibration from this exhaust i guess i shouldnt expect stuff not to happen..ill prly get under it this weekend if stuff persists and see if i can tighten some stuff around that area..but with how loud this exhaust is at certain points in the powerband i guess rattling noises will come and go
any more suggestions welcome..could it be the header?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
do you have a raceheader? my skunk2 70mm had issues rattling with the hangers but i have taken care of that already. then i had rattling again when i put my raceheader on and it turned out to be that the part where the header connects to the exhaust. there were those bolts with springs and the guy that installed my header tightened the bolts all the way down causing the rattles. there should actually be enough room for the springs to expand enough. not sure if this is your problem though...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the Skunk2 70mm exhaust on my coupe and I had rattling problems until I did some minor hanger bending. The part that was rattling against the underbody was the bend going up and over the rear axle. If you get your car on a lift, and press up on the exhaust, it will probably hit that area. Remember, your exhaust moves under load. It may sound like it's coming from near the cat, but it's not (well, at least on mine). Also, when it's raining out, you can bet that the exhaust is going to rattle no matter what you do, especially at lower RPMs.

Try bending hangars around to have the rear part of the exhaust hang just a little bit lower, and things should be good. It's a PITA, but it's worth it. If you don't have the tools for it, take it to a TRUSTED mechanic who is willing to listen and be careful.

(P.S. I live!)

·
Registered
883 Posts
elaborate a little for me please?
I was wrong when I said under the shifter I havent seen the underside of my car for a while.Anyway If you take a look at where the arrow is pointing you can see the metal that the exhaust is hitting.Some people use a rubbber mallet to to make a dent in that spot so that the exhaust wont hit it and others usually just deal with it .Its up to you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Skunk2 will be happy to take a look at your muffler section under warranty. Please email once the muffler section has been removed and is ready for pick up. I will gladly send UPS to pick up the muffler section and return it to Skunk2 for inspection free of charge. If the muffler does in fact rattle we will replace it free of charge.

We will never turn someone away without looking into a situation. If I ask questions regarding your return it is only in an attempt to make sure that what we are replacing will actually remedy your problem. I do not want to keep replacing mufflers if it is actually another problem. The goal is to get the noise to go away. If after replacing the muffler the noise is still there it is only logical to consider the fact that the problem may lie elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts