8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much decided this is the exhaust I'm going with. I've searched and I like the sound at woot....but, I wanted to know how it sounds and how livable is it during normal driving....I drive 50 miles round trip to work each day and as much as the exhaust sound would be great while I autocross or hit vtec..I want to know what it's like at 30-50 mph at 2-4000 rpms which is what I travel on my commute on the backroads around here.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
If you're sticking to a NA setup (as I'm assuming) go with the 60mm. It's got a bit of drone, but really not that much under light throttle. Once you get on the freeway and up to speed, it's more noticeable, but not when you put the silencer in.

It doesn't bother me at all anymore.. not that it ever did, but give me the choice of a quiet vs louder exhaust and I'll choose the louder one almost everytime...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dentrecords said:
If you're sticking to a NA setup (as I'm assuming) go with the 60mm. It's got a bit of drone, but really not that much under light throttle. Once you get on the freeway and up to speed, it's more noticeable, but not when you put the silencer in.

It doesn't bother me at all anymore.. not that it ever did, but give me the choice of a quiet vs louder exhaust and I'll choose the louder one almost everytime...
I do plan on staying NA...and I agree I'd like a bit on the louder side then too quite. Do you run yours with the silencer in?

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
Blurry said:
I do plan on staying NA...and I agree I'd like a bit on the louder side then too quite. Do you run yours with the silencer in?
if I'm going for a long trip on the highway, or if I have someone that doesn't like a particularly loud car with me, then yes.. otherwise, nope.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I drove mine from little rock, AR to Biloxi, MS which is like 500something miles with the 70mm on and not broken in and I was fine. The dog that I had in the car did alot of whining though, lol. Poor thing. I shoulda put the silencer in.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Excalibur said:
I drove mine from little rock, AR to Biloxi, MS which is like 500something miles with the 70mm on and not broken in and I was fine. The dog that I had in the car did alot of whining though, lol. Poor thing. I shoulda put the silencer in.
lol poor dog :(

but to blurry's question
just go with the 70mm..however youll have less drone with the 60mm..either one is fine on an NA setup 60 or 70mm..if your going to turbo id hope ud put in the money for 3 inch not just a 2.75" (70mm)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bolted the 60mm up today, mistake, too loud for me. Any one know how restrictive it is with the silencer compaired to stock?

·
Registered
601 Posts
i own a 60mm and it DoeS drone. maybe not as bad as the 70mm but it still does. yes, it should quiet down a little bit after it breaks in

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have nothing to compair it to other than the stock exhaust. It's WAY louder than stock and to me it does drone. Some of it may be to the rt cat. The cat did cause very mild drone at times, but not enough to be an issue at all. Now with the exhaust the drone is MUCH more pronounced but not so bad cruising, I think I might be able to actually live with it but it's the volume that is the issue. I feel self consious driving around. I'm a bit old for this type of exhaust and I feel like a poser or wanna be. I guess things just change when you get older. I used to think the super loud exhausts like d&d on sport bikes was cool. Now, it's like damn, that jack ass just woke up by kid. I was trying to find the middle road with this exhaust. some thing with a bark when you wanted it but mild if easy on the throttle. Problem is anything over 2k with any throtle input and man, it's barking! It's easy to get the tone from video clips but judging the volume is harder (for me anyway). All I got to go by is what others suggest as I have no way to hear it in person. Part of it is that it's all so subjective and I think age plays a part in what is considered loud. When I was younger I probably would have thought this was the cats meow, cranked my radio up and gassed it. I hope it does get quiter when it breaks in because right now all I'm thinking is who wants to trade rear sections? Strangly, I didn't mind the loud exhaust on my v8 with the last vehicle I had, maybe this thing will grow on me, who knows.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
heh.. I'm sure age has something to do with it. I love my Skunk2 on my Si and I love my Satos on my RC51!

Unless you're really stepping on it, it's not actually all that crazy loud.. Have you had someone else drive your car with you standing on the side of the road for comparison? Try a wide open throttle pass and compare that to a "normal" pass..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good idea I'll try that, maybe it wont be as loud as I think (inside it sounds loud!). I'm going to run the silencer for a bit and then take it out after the break in. How long before you noticed a change, couple hundred miles?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts