8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to change my low beam to silverstar headlights and i was just wondering whats the difference between their products with the number 9003, 9004, 9005, and so on (including h7). what does the number represent. and which is recommended for low beam. and what types of silver stars are there? thanks

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
If you want my advice, change both your low beams and high beams. The low beams are a good increase, but the real majesty of the Silverstars comes from the brights, trust me.

The numbers you see 9003, 9004, 9005, etc. all represent the bulbs that fit certain cars. If you look in your owners manual for replacing the headlights, it will tell you what the number for the low beams and high beams are.

I would recommend the Silverstar Ultras for both low and high beams.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The Civics use 9006 bulbs for the low beams and 9005 bulbs for the high beams. I would use Silverstar Ultras. The regular ones are good too, but the Ultras appear to be brighter, I've used both. Avoid the "Cool Blue" ones like the plague, they aren't blue at all and the light output is pathetic.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should i just save up my money for xenon or should i just get this for the price. is there a really big difference between the two for the price?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Some advice - when I did mine on an EX coupe (other flavors of Civic YMMV), I started by going thru the wheel well and figured out that was a huge waste of time. Passenger side was cake for both bulbs, driver's side was more confined, but it was easy enough to just go from the top. Only hard part was disconnecting the harness from the stock bulb from that angle. But removing coolant reservoir & loosening battery hold-downs gave me sufficient space to change both bulbs on that side without touching the glass of the bulb. I have average size man hands.

Check out Advance & Autozone. Both had 2-packs of Silverstar Ultras on sale for <$35 last week. Much cheaper than $21 per bulb from O'Reily's.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
A lightbulb change doesn't require a fuse change.

I personally wouldn't recommend those bulbs though, HIR bulbs are a much better investment IMO.

Try a search for "HIR" and see what you come up with. Also, try a search for "silverstar" as this topic has been beaten to death extensively.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No. Just change the bulbs. Very simple & straigthforward process. Unplug & remove old bulb, insert and plug in new bulb.

Only thing you have to do is be careful with the new bulbs once you open the package. You don't want to touch the glass or have it touch your light housing. Be careful & take your time. If you contaminate the glass bulb, you may drastically reduce the bulb's life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.