8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am looking at getting a Civic Si. i realize this is a si board, but i hope for some objective replies.

Now i like the new Si, much improved over the previous rat wagon, but i am also considering the GTi. i understand the GTI will be more expensive, but would a base GTi be better than the navi-equipped Si? i love the new GTi's 2.0 FSI motor. a simple reflash gives 250lbs of torque and apporiate hp as well. :banana-wa both are relatively the same speed. so what do you guys think? :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
The interior is nicer in the GTi but I think the Si is more fun to drive.

06 Civic Si w/Navi & 18" HFP's
Galaxy Gray Metallic

·
Registered
231 Posts
I personally think that the GTI doesn't look as nice as the Si, but I don't really feel like you can go wrong with either one. I also feel like the tuner market will do alot more for the Si in the future, so I feel like the Si will have more performance options in the future, but it looks like the GTI has more storage room, room for friends, etc. I would test drive them both, and like I said, you can't go wrong either way! :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I forgot to mention, everyone I know that owned a VW spent more time in the shop than driving. The expected reliability is fair at best & they are notorious for stupid electrical problems. Buyer Beware!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!! i just found out that the GTi comes standard with Xenons (HIDS), does the Si come with Xenons??

but i also love the Si's LSD, does the GTi come with a LSD??

grrr....decisions, but i am looking more towards the Si atm. Thanks for the replies guys!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Snaker said:
I forgot to mention, everyone I know that owned a VW spent more time in the shop than driving. The expected reliability is fair at best & they are notorious for stupid electrical problems. Buyer Beware!
This is the reason I am not looking at the GTI, otherwise i would strongly consider it, but I mean lets face it VW does not represent fine german engineering.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
SI does not thave HID lights. There is a DIY on how to install HIDs though. A few members have done it already.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned reliability in this debate. The reliability of VW in general is far below par lately. A large number of electrical problems seem to plague their vehicles. They are also being assembled in Mexico with a lot of complaints on build quality.

Would it be a fun car to drive -yes. Is the SI going to be fun to drive - yes. I think the SI will have a much stronger aftermarket world. It's already stock with the LSD, large sways, a tight suspension, and 197 NA HP. People are putting down high 180's to the wheels on the dyno for the SI stock. The other bonus is that the SI engine is basically the type S motor with balanced cam shafts.

look at what the RSX-S is capable of -
few examples real quick found on clubrsx forums

off the clubrsx site - just looked for 2 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.11 @111
11.7 a 120 MPH

379whp 293 ft lbs @10psi
320whp 221wtq. 9psi
505 WHP 430wtq - 22psi

645 WHP @ 28 psi- First pass was 11.6 sec - couldn't hook up (gee - I wonder why)

hondata is also working on a reflash, so it'll be interesting in the near future. Turbo kits are in the works from multiple companies as well.

Either car will be fun to drive, but I would think most people on here will be paritial to the SI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts