8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story:

I have a "beater car", my 1996 Civic Hatch DX. It has like 250,000 miles on the factory engine (still runs strong) but the transmission is going out.

If I spent $2,500 on this car do you think it would be possible to get an engine swap and get my transmission (it may be the clutch) replaced/fixed? I know that is not a lot of cash but it’s all I really have to spend.

I don't need a K20a in there (they are like 5k) I just want something faster then what I have in their now (stock engine).

The problem I have with my transmission is that it’s hard to put into 3rd gear. It grinds pretty hard and you have to release the clutch and put it back in. All the other gears work fine though.

Any thoughts or comments?
:popcorn:

·
Registered
132 Posts
b16 is rated for 160 bhp. you may also be able to find a h22 for relatively cheap and that is rated at 220 bhp. the h22 isn't as heavy as most people think as it weighs in at 85 lbs more. there is alot of info online about swaps an motor mounts and wiring harnesses and transmission linkages.
here is one link that talks about the b16 vs the h22.
Click me

I also forgot to add that you can go with a d series and boost it. I've seen d series motors and transmissions for around $750-850 with decent mileage.
Here is another site that has everything you need to know about the d-series engines: D-series.org

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get a b18....b16 is good though...You can do an ls/vtec...b20 vtec...tons of good choices in that shell...
I know, I love the look of the 96 Hatch. A GREAT shell

I was reading about the H22, it sounds good and 220hp is crazy, but the b16 has to be rev'd hard, so I read.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
^ True...Kind of like our newer Si...Needs to be revved out to make power...But in my opinion thats what makes a honda a honda and I love it. It's very different from most other cars out there. I would either go b16 or b18 and build the head for 9k!! hehe

The h22 is nice though for the tq. so it doesn't have to be revved if tq is your thing

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
The H22 has weak stock sleeves that may fail when you put more stress on them than stock power.

Especially a significantly larger load like boost is inherently going to do.

But it would be no different if you upped the compression to 12.5:1 or something ridiculous like that.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
all the info you need can be found at ek9.0rg thats a site I used to be a part of when i had my 98 hatch. I was planning on doing a b18 swap to mine but i decided i needed a new reliable car to get me to and from work without worrying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts